TinyTim's Avatar Banned
    Well, things are really simple: there is no dash between the manufacturer abbreviation and a model number! For example: It's Fw 190, not Fw-190. The dash only exists between a letter and a number of subversion. For example: G-6 or A-8 (not G6 or A 8). There's a space between a number of the type and a designation of subversion: ... 190 A-8, not 190A-8 or 190A8.

All together:

It's Fw 190 A, not Fw-190A or Fw 190-A or even Fw-190-A.
    It's Fw 190 A-3, not anything else.
    It's Fw 190 A-3/U3 (note the lack of dash between an U and 3).
    It's the same convention with any other German airplane with similar naming, i.e. Bf 109 G-6/U4, Do 217 K-3, Fi 156, Bf 110 G-2 etc.

Some other full designations:

Blohm & Voss BV 138 (note B and V are both in capitals, with spaces before and after &)

Focke-Wulf Fw 200 C-3/U4 (note a dash between Focke and Wulf with no spaces about it).

Horten Ho 229 (not a Go 229, that was unofficial designation because Gotha was the manufacturer). It was also designated Horten Ho IX.

Original IL-2 simulation already had these designations wrong, now with mods coming out they've turned into an utter mess. I know it may sound a kind of puristic, but maybe someoen will find it interesting to know. So I just thought I'd share this. BTW, all this is how Germans were designating their planes.

TinyTim's Avatar Banned
    Well, things are really simple: there is no dash between the manufacturer abbreviation and a model number! For example: It's Fw 190, not Fw-190. The dash only exists between a letter and a number of subversion. For example: G-6 or A-8 (not G6 or A 8). There's a space between a number of the type and a designation of subversion: ... 190 A-8, not 190A-8 or 190A8.

All together:

It's Fw 190 A, not Fw-190A or Fw 190-A or even Fw-190-A.
    It's Fw 190 A-3, not anything else.
    It's Fw 190 A-3/U3 (note the lack of dash between an U and 3).
    It's the same convention with any other German airplane with similar naming, i.e. Bf 109 G-6/U4, Do 217 K-3, Fi 156, Bf 110 G-2 etc.

Some other full designations:

Blohm & Voss BV 138 (note B and V are both in capitals, with spaces before and after &)

Focke-Wulf Fw 200 C-3/U4 (note a dash between Focke and Wulf with no spaces about it).

Horten Ho 229 (not a Go 229, that was unofficial designation because Gotha was the manufacturer). It was also designated Horten Ho IX.

Original IL-2 simulation already had these designations wrong, now with mods coming out they've turned into an utter mess. I know it may sound a kind of puristic, but maybe someoen will find it interesting to know. So I just thought I'd share this. BTW, all this is how Germans were designating their planes.

The same could be said for the Russian aircraft and the designation system they used.

Treetop64's Avatar Senior Member
    Oh, and Fokker is Dutch, not German.

I got into a huge argument with a buddy over this.

So....why is Blohm & Voss BV (both in capitals), but Focke-Wulf is Fw?

Dance's Avatar Senior Member
    In essence you are right TT, although in many nations documents (other than German) these dashes appear, so many people just accept them. It's fine to be puristic, I often challenge myself of the best way to designate German aircraft, but I tend to cater for the masses.

I could have sworn it was FW 190 rather than Fw 190.

TinyTim's Avatar Banned
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Romanator21:
    I could have sworn it was FW 190 rather than Fw 190. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

TinyTim's Avatar Banned
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PanzerAce:
    So....why is Blohm & Voss BV (both in capitals), but Focke-Wulf is Fw? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a good question. Answer maybe lies in the fact that when RLM introduced this system in 1933, first letter was to be capital and the second always in lower case. At that time Blohm & Voss was still using older designation Ha (for the Hamburger Flugzeugbau which was a part of B & V group), but was only later given BV by the RLM. However, for some reason they were given V in capital case also.

WTE_Galway's Avatar Senior Member
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TinyTim:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PanzerAce:
    So....why is Blohm & Voss BV (both in capitals), but Focke-Wulf is Fw? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a good question. Answer maybe lies in the fact that when RLM introduced this system in 1933, first letter was to be capital and the second always in lower case. At that time Blohm & Voss was still using older designation Ha (for the Hamburger Flugzeugbau which was a part of B & V group), but was only later given BV by the RLM. However, for some reason they were given V in capital case also. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The company was officially Focke-Wulf Flugzeugbau GmbH and Focke-Wulf is hyphenated to form a single word - one word, one capital letter.

On the other hand Abteilung Flugzeugbau der Schiffswerft Blohm & Voss clearly has the names as two separate words - two words two capital letters.