Hi all

How can I create a new skin for Chessmaster? I would like to modify one from existing, but I can not find the software for this purpose.

Hi all

How can I create a new skin for Chessmaster? I would like to modify one from existing, but I can not find the software for this purpose.

Skins are just a collection of image files, accompanied by an .ini file. What you'll need to do is make a copy of an existing skin and modify it.

Existing skins can be found in C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Chessmaster Grandmaster Edition\Data\Skin. Copy one of the skins to the one you want to create (i.e., copy the 'Expert' folder to 'MySkin' and 'expert_skin.ini' to 'myskin_skin.ini'). Then, all you need to do is edit the images in the new folder, and update the ini after you're finished.

As far as software is concerned, I believe others have said they use PaintShop Pro for that purpose.

Thank you for your reply.

Honestly more than create a new skin I wanted to modify the skin, "Metal". The text in my opinion is a bit too dark, weary eyes with longer reading and would like to change its color to a brighter, white for example.

In my opinion, virtually all of the skin in Chessmaster are barely legible and rather unpleasant to the eyes.

It is a pity that there was no program that would facilitate the editing of skins. Well, I'll try to work on it a little when I find some time. That means the changes in the skin, not on the program .

It should be relatively easy if all you want to change is the text color. I believe the only file you need to change is global.conf, which is located in:

C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Chessmaster Grandmaster Edition\Data\Skin\Metal\Controls.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion.

Personally, I prefer the default skin, but I do find it strange you think the skins are "barely legible". Perhaps you might try adjusting your screen resolution/colors?

As to not having a utility to update skins, that's another thing altogether. While manipulating skins is an intensive, manual process, there are several other customizable features, and I would rather see Ubisoft work on fixing real bugs than providing extra skins or utilities to change them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KHollister:
    It should be relatively easy if all you want to change is the text color. I believe the only file you need to change is global.conf, which is located in:

C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Chessmaster Grandmaster Edition\Data\Skin\Metal\Controls. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I guess that is exactly what I sought. Files .conf is a lot and although I looked to them with no idea which file is responsible for what.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Personally, I prefer the default skin, but I do find it strange you think the skins are "barely legible". Perhaps you might try adjusting your screen resolution/colors? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    No, no, it's not the point. Just my opinion, the graphic layout skin is too grim. Almost all are made using a dark color. This can be tolerated, but dark text on a dark background is difficult to lift for me. And I would like to change that .

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I would rather see Ubisoft work on fixing real bugs than providing extra skins or utilities to change them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Me too, but since the release of this program has passed a lot of time and unfortunately there is no information about the release of the new patch.

Anyway thanks for your time and help .

Hi,
    i have created some skins long time ago i can help you i you have a problem with it.But it's really easy the only prob is there's hundred of pictures to change...
    btween The black and white skin is not too dark.
    CMXII 'll have new skins i think because any new CM have new skins about CMXII patch i don't think it 'll be realised.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by willy_297:
    Hi,
    i have created some skins long time ago i can help you i you have a problem with it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the willingness to help, but now I found what I sought. I wanted to change only the color of the text, particularly in the training material. It was grayish, and I preferred white, more contrast, less tiring for the eyes with a longer reading.