Last night I was messing around with the different views from the cockpit. I have been flying with the cockpit always on. What do most of you use?

A. Cockpit always on.
    B. Cockpit always off.
    C. Have cockpit off only during landing.
    D. Have cockpit off only during taxing/takeoff.
    E. Turn off cockpit only during engagements or when in hostile territory.
    F. Other

Also, during matches or coop tournaments what are the rules for cockpit views (if any)?<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

Last night I was messing around with the different views from the cockpit. I have been flying with the cockpit always on. What do most of you use?

A. Cockpit always on.
    B. Cockpit always off.
    C. Have cockpit off only during landing.
    D. Have cockpit off only during taxing/takeoff.
    E. Turn off cockpit only during engagements or when in hostile territory.
    F. Other

Also, during matches or coop tournaments what are the rules for cockpit views (if any)?<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

Bearcat99's Avatar Senior Member
    I prefer a closed pit... although think an open pit with no icons isnt bad..... I just rarely fly like that. I use a TIR and even without TIR I have a pretty decent viewing solution so the closed pit has never been a problem for me. I must admit though that on certain maps at certain times of day I have a hard time seeing.... even at my current settings.. so I prefer icons... set tightly.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

<UL TYPE=SQUARE> [/list]<UL TYPE=SQUARE> 332nd V.F.G.[/list]
    <span class="ev_code_GREEN">It is easier to train a boy than to repair a man.</span>

Sturmovik Essentials | Magnum PC.Com | Joint Operations

<span class="ev_code_white">Oleg: I think players should upgrade their PC after the release of Storm of War: The Battle of Britain, but not now. Minimum system would be probably like last year good system for IL-2 series. The simulation has gone from what was to be a study sim involving one aircraft to a real monster anthology of WWII aviation. The engine has been stretched to fit multi-engined bombers, aircraft that are linked (such as the Mistel and the TB-3/I-16 combinations), aircraft carriers, runway cratering, working searchlights, etc.

</span>

Since no sim out there can truly recreate the actual input that would exist in real life, I will almost always use no cockpit. Maybe when I can get monitors that totally surround me with all the different views possible on the HAT switch.

I prefer to be in the cockpit myself probably 98% of the time. I love the extra immersion from feeling like you are in a plane cockpit. I do however enjoy a quick peek of my externals, if the server allows, from time to time to drool over the skins I have chosen for the mission. Sure is a pretty game when you have the right video settings dialed in. Generally, I will not play on a server that allows the cockpit off, that is my personal preferance.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

Hyperlobby name: 99th_RockStar

There are only two types of aircraft ??? fighters and targets.

??? Doyle 'Wahoo' Nicholson, USMC.

ploughman's Avatar Senior Member
    It's a toughie. Me flying with a 17 inch sqaure window located three feet in front of my face doesn't even begin to approach what being in a cockpit would be like. Having a hat switch helps and I expect Track IR'd go a whole lot further. I only really use cockpit but I use externals to compensate for the limited view. If i had some sort of visor mounted display linked to a Track IR set up, that's available at low res even now but for monty $$$$, I'd go for cockpit only and lap up the immersion.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

Dum spiro, spero

B4 Track IR and AMD 500mhz no pit. After upgrading to a AMD K7 3400 3 years ago and getting Track IR 2, always with the pit on. I get disoriented now without cockpit reference. Also the artwork is stunning with most of the pits, be a waste not to use them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Olasnah1973:
    Since no sim out there can truly recreate the actual input that would exist in real life, I will almost always use no cockpit. Maybe when I can get monitors that totally surround me with all the different views possible on the HAT switch. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mind you that cockpit off view don't give you peripheral vision. You are still looking through the same "tunnel vision", but instead of seeing the instruments, you will see things that no real fighter pilot was able to see (12 o'clock low area).

Point being made: use freely whatever settings you like, but don't invent artificial "explanations" for it, especially trying to argue in the name of (perceived) reality. There is no need to "explain" or "justify" difficulty switch preferences.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

A "world's first": fully automatic, dedicated COOP server controller. Features and available servers here.

For doing deflection shots ex. when you turn inside your opponent - best with the cockpit off, otherwise you're shooting blind.

Cockpit on is gives yoou more reference of how the plane is moving (slipping etc), as well as being visually pleasing.

I prefer to get kills, so for me Cockpit Off is best.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

<span class="ev_code_PINK">My Aim is True.</span>

Xiolablu3's Avatar Senior Member
    I prefer cockpit on, always nowadays, purely for the immersiveness.

Flying without it now feels too articficial.

Each to their own tho, I used to fly pit off and love it.

I like externals on, the game seems to have far less boring long flights that way.

If I fly full real then I like no icons at all, if I am going to fly a sim, then I fly a sim. IDing enemies without icons adds a lot to the game.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I despise what you say; I will defend to the death your right to say it."
    -Voltaire