After reformatting and having a healthy vibrant new SP2 copy of windows installed, i was searching the web yesterday when suddenly a windows update alert said that new USB composite device was ready to be installed.

"Sounds important, betteer have that," methinks.

Load. Have a bit more of browse, Go to bed.

Today howevr, load up FB+PF and start a mission when as I do my check of full, free and correct stick movement, no surfaces move... but my bloody viewpoint does!!!

For some reason it now regards my joystick as a second mouse so that now of course it operates as mouse look with no way to pilot the aircraft. I'm at my wits end, after trying to roll back drivers, reinstalling the stick drivers and even reinstalling windows. Please dont tell me i'm having to reformat again?!!!

After reformatting and having a healthy vibrant new SP2 copy of windows installed, i was searching the web yesterday when suddenly a windows update alert said that new USB composite device was ready to be installed.

"Sounds important, betteer have that," methinks.

Load. Have a bit more of browse, Go to bed.

Today howevr, load up FB+PF and start a mission when as I do my check of full, free and correct stick movement, no surfaces move... but my bloody viewpoint does!!!

For some reason it now regards my joystick as a second mouse so that now of course it operates as mouse look with no way to pilot the aircraft. I'm at my wits end, after trying to roll back drivers, reinstalling the stick drivers and even reinstalling windows. Please dont tell me i'm having to reformat again?!!!

dieg777's Avatar Senior Member
    If you reinstalled windows over the existing copy then it will keep the latest drivers by default so you are stuck with your problem.

I would uninstall the device from device manager and reboot then when hardware is detected manually install the drivers - chose from disc and load from install disc- dont let windows install automatically or it will pick the latest and you will loop round again.

good luck

Well I tried all sorts and the problem persisted.

Also couldnt get Add/Remove Program to compile a list so I thought I'd reformat anyhoo.

Guess what, the problem was still there with the stick! Tearing my hair out I unplugged it from the mains (its a FFB) and whipped out the USB. Took a deep breath replugged back in and... HOORAH! No longer is it calling it 'z-mouse' but actually recognises it as a joystick, thank christ!

This has to be the randomest thing I've had happened to me computer wise; A joystick that has an identity crisis and thinks its a mouse!