ASUS A8N32SLi
    AMD 64 x 2 3800+
    2 Gb Corsair XLPT3200 2-2-2-5 memory
    2 x XFX7800GT in SLi mode
    2 x 160Gb HDD in Raid config
    Jeantech STORM 700W PSU
    Win XP
    DirectX9c

I get around 40fps in The Black death Track. Less than I had expected at 1280 x 1024 x 32.

At higher resolutions (1600 x 1200) the fps just drops like a stone to around 17.

Am I wasting my money getting a wide screen display. Should I stick with a standard 4:3 format flat screen?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by brp51d:
    The Samsung 226BW has gotten very good reviews. However, I had to return two of them because of various problems. On one, the onscreen controls did not work. On both the graphic quality was disappointing.I tested the monitors on another system and had similar problems. I also, tested the monitors on y system with a different video card with no improvement. Calibration did not significantly improve the display. I may just have had bad luck and I know there are people on these boards who have had very good experiences with that monitor. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just picked up one of these yesterday and was absolutely floored with the results. I can actually read all the text on the dials without squinting and everything else. Big improvement over my old 17" CRT.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by F19_Orheim:
    OK thanx guys for the inputs on klemlao's question.

Here is another:

I have a 19" CRT (4:3) screen which I am pretty happy with, but unfortunately it is very space consuming, leaving not very much room for other stuff on my desk. Also it starts to get a bit "worn".

I have been thinking of getting a 22" widescreen flat screen for some time now, and I have been looking at the Samsung products (225B and 226B), as they are known for good quality.

My CONCERN though is the resolution. I run the sim (pretty much the only game I play) at 1152x864. This works very well, both for discovering contacts but also for a decent fps (approx 35 with normal settings).

If I get a 22" widescreen I guess I have to run the game at the native resolution (which is 1680x1050). I have tried to run the game on my CRT with 1600x1200 just to get an idea how much FPS loss there there would be, and how much the dots dissappear. I get a 10-15 FPS drop with this resolution and the dots are not at all that visable.

So here is the question. How good is the picture on a similar 22" widescreen if I run the game NOT in the native resolution, but a lower one?

Am I better off with my CRT until I get a better 'puter that can handle the native resolution?

Thankful for any advice and inputs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just tried it on my shiny new 226B. DO NOT use anything other than native resolution. 1152*864 looks almost as bad as 800*600 on a CRT. At any rate, I found it most dissappionting at that resolution.

This monitor in itself is a gem, at native resolution it really looks the business. Desktop is really sharp. In game (only tried IL2 so far), perfect setting is looking astonishing.

I run a geforce 320mb 8800gts, athlon 3800*2 o/c to 2.7 with 2 gig Corsair memory, and you would probably need to upgrade your graphic card and/or processor to around that spec to use 1680*1050 resolution.

If you do go the route of LCD, you will not be dissappointed, provided you match your computer to the screen. I found my old LG 17in CRT was great in that I could match my previous graphics cards/processors with a suitable resolution. CRTs are more flexible for that.

But I shall not go back to CRT, this is my best prchase for quite a while.

thanx mate.. I'll stick to my CRT until my upgrade this winter

cheers!

I have found the cause of my low FPS in 1600 x 1200.

My monitor is a 19" CRT 4:3
    My desktop is set to 1600 x 1200
    My IL2 conf.ini is set to 1600 x 1200.

When I run Full Screen = 1 (not running in a window) I get the fps drop.
    When I run in Full Screen = 0 (run it in a window) I get 40 - 80+ fps.

Anyone know the way around this?

btw I don't get the problem with 1600 x 1024.

I have played around with these:
    ChangeScreenRes=0/1
    FullScreen=0/1
    EnableResize=0/1
    SaveAspect=0/1

but no improvement.

I seems my rig will run the 1600 x nnnn resolutions ok, it's just this window problem in 1600 x 1200 (4:3).

Hope someone out there can help......

My conf.ini for widescreen.

[window]
    width=1920
    height=1200
    ColourBits=32
    DepthBits=24
    StencilBits=8
    ChangeScreenRes=1
    FullScreen=1
    DrawIfNotFocused=0
    EnableResize=0
    EnableClose=1
    SaveAspect=0
    Use3Renders=0

When the game launches the actual setup screen stays square (where you change video options etc), but once the game launches....oh yes....wide-o-vision

Also if your monitor rotates upright, you can change the ini and have your screen upright, giving you a larger up and down view instead of l-to-r.

Cheers, MP.

Guys, many thanks for the advice.

I just got the Samsung 226BW and it's a huge improvement on my old 19" CRT display.

I am running at 1680 x 1050 (Native resolution) and have only one problem:

I appear to be sitting much further forward in Gunsight view. e.g. before in a Spitfire the curved frame just sat inside the edge of the 4:3 CRT screen. Now it disappears out of the sides of my widescreen leaving me a much narrower view which I can't seem to improve. Is there anyway to fix this and get it back to where it was before?

my conf.ini reads:

[window]
    width=1680
    height=1050
    ColourBits=32
    DepthBits=24
    StencilBits=8
    ChangeScreenRes=0
    FullScreen=1
    DrawIfNotFocused=0
    EnableResize=0
    EnableClose=0