Hi All,

I've been thinking of this for quite sometime and think it's about time I start it.

Although this forum is English our community is international and therefore multilingual. Many of the members are not native speakers of English and their levels vary widely. Many "English Second Language" (ESL) speakers want to improve their English and I thought it would be great if our community could offer support, advice, and answers to the many questions asked.

I propose we use this thread to offer advice and answers, not debate or argue about English. The ESL members could post their questions and get answers, therefore improving their English skills.

An example: When do we us "in" and "at"?

This is a common question among ESL students. The funny thing is that the majority of native English speakers do not know the answer, although they instinctively know the correct usage.

When do we use "in" and "at"?(Regarding location)

The answer is quite simple and has mostly to do with visable borders.

"I am at the airport in the lounge."

Airports are normally large and the borders are very hard to define visually. This is when we use "at".

The lounge at the airport has visible borders, such as walls, so we use "in".

"I am at home in the living room."

Once again, the visible borders of "home" are not so easy to define, as they are with a house. The borders of the livingroom are very easy to visibly define, so we'll use "in".

Other examples include:

"I am in China." - visually defined borders, especially on maps.

"I am in Beijing." - Once again, visible borders.

"I am at the World Trade Center." - The borders are very difficult to define visually.

So, this is what I am talking about. We can add a valuable resource to our community.

Who knows, maybe it will become a sticky. Let's try it anyway.

Fritz

Hi All,

I've been thinking of this for quite sometime and think it's about time I start it.

Although this forum is English our community is international and therefore multilingual. Many of the members are not native speakers of English and their levels vary widely. Many "English Second Language" (ESL) speakers want to improve their English and I thought it would be great if our community could offer support, advice, and answers to the many questions asked.

I propose we use this thread to offer advice and answers, not debate or argue about English. The ESL members could post their questions and get answers, therefore improving their English skills.

An example: When do we us "in" and "at"?

This is a common question among ESL students. The funny thing is that the majority of native English speakers do not know the answer, although they instinctively know the correct usage.

When do we use "in" and "at"?(Regarding location)

The answer is quite simple and has mostly to do with visable borders.

"I am at the airport in the lounge."

Airports are normally large and the borders are very hard to define visually. This is when we use "at".

The lounge at the airport has visible borders, such as walls, so we use "in".

"I am at home in the living room."

Once again, the visible borders of "home" are not so easy to define, as they are with a house. The borders of the livingroom are very easy to visibly define, so we'll use "in".

Other examples include:

"I am in China." - visually defined borders, especially on maps.

"I am in Beijing." - Once again, visible borders.

"I am at the World Trade Center." - The borders are very difficult to define visually.

So, this is what I am talking about. We can add a valuable resource to our community.

Who knows, maybe it will become a sticky. Let's try it anyway.

Fritz

polak5's Avatar Senior Member
    great idea for the community. Hope this can be of use to some peeps also. A "translator"
    http://www.babelfish.altavista.com/

msalama's Avatar Senior Member
    Hey, this is a great idea Fritz!

you could be "at" a loss and "in" a state of confusion also. Rules "in" English are sometimes "at" odds.

First you must leave the cave.

Yes, English rules are consistantly inconsistant. Good point. I edited and added "regarding location".

Fritz

Wow, thanks! This kind of help is always appreciated, and i must admit that reading and posting in these forums has taught me quite a bunch of new things...

Dunkelgrun's Avatar Senior Member
    I am always inspired by the grasp of English shown by 'non-native speakers', which is usually of a very high standard. It often puts the 'natives' to shame.
    Good idea for a thread Fritz; I'll help out if I can.

Cheers!

what difference no and know?

Does it have to be English ?

I've noticed more than a few people posting and ending with something like "wallah !"

It's French and although you've nailed the pronunciation, it's "Voila !", people.

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... Last ►►