During WWII, it was realized that shots were more likely and devistating at ranges between 250 and 300 meters. I recommend starting with friendly docile planes that wont run. Set your convergence to 250 and just work on destroying the friendlies.

Once you feel thoroughly depressed about shooting your friendlies, put some slower enemy rookie planes in there and work on them. Start with the slower, bigger, more docile planes w/o rear gunners and then work you way up to small, nimble ace bandits..

At 250-300 meters, you should be right behind them. You can even work your way closer. Although being directly on their 6 offers the smallest profile of an enemy plane, it also offers the most direct shot.

Use unlimited ammo and fuel and even record your tracks to watch later. I agree the Hurc is a good starter. I recommend the C, cause the tracers are very obvious, but pick your own poison.

Just try not to be giving any-extra input to the stick while you are lined up. Squeeze, don't jerk or pull..

Deflection:

If the bandit turns right you must aim ahead to the right. If he goes down, you generally are lowering your aim (and depending on range) you are firing below him. If he goes up, you will fire above him so he effectively "meets" your rounds and collides with them at a point in the 'future'... If that makes any sense..

If he moves up and to the left, aim ahead of him to the left and up. The general rule of thumb is that the angle is usually more than what you think.

Turn off any settings that are getting in your way, like clouds, etc.. Just keep it simple, so you can acheive your goal of improving your gunnery..

I agree with maxim26 on realistic gunnery. In terms of cockpit on, that depends if you will eventually end up flying with the pit on. If you do, then I agree with him that you should probably start with the pit on...

Also, blake has a good recommendation about hitting pause...

Last, dont expect immediate results. Sometimes it's one step forward, two steps back, two steps forward one step back. If you are determined to get better and have the time and patience to suffer through it you will prevail. Otherwise, you will just be frustrated and allergic to online fighting, especially..

GL!

Blazing Magnums 357th VFG
    bm357.com | Roster | Flash Cartoon | BroDawg | QuickTime Video
    Blazing_Magnums Server

My mamma's Harley is bigger than your mamma..

Good idea about the pause thing...never thought of that.

Another suggestion: In my theory of "train hard - fight easy" learning curve is to learn gunnery ( especially against fighters ) by fighting with lightly armed nose-concentrated guns A/C like the 109 F2 and MiG-3. You'll feel like you're shooting blanks at first but then gradually start getting better. You'll get to the point of getting good solid hits even in deflection shooting, even if you don't tear the target apart with a 2 second burst. Fly theat way for a few weeks every day.

After you feel good about your gunnery, switch to more heavily armed A/C, whether cannon-equipped versions of the above listed A/C or others, and you'll be tearing up A/C on the 1st burst so good you'll feel like some smug hotshot...especially if you try heavily armed wing-gunned planes with their bigger dispersal. It really works, and the challenge is fun ( if not a bit frustrating ) along the way.

I disagree with the start easy advice.

Grab a plane you like, one you might choose for your main ride.
    Use Limited Ammo.
    Practice with Full Real Difficulty.
    Try to shoot small fast targets.

Practicing in harder conditions makes easier conditions that much more doable.

IL-2 original P-39 vet soon to be P-63 vet.

CWoS FB forum. More Cheese, Less Whine.

's Avatar Junior Member
    As someone who has had the game for only 10 days, allow me to add a few tips, and repeat some that others ahve given already.

First, choose a plane that you find to be comfortable to fly. Try several planes, and then choose one. For initial target practice, use friendly Me-323. Do not put them on hostile just yet, as they can be pretty dangerous. This plane is so big that it's really hard to miss (but it's also hard to bring down). Practicing while flying lightly armed planes is good for accuracy, but if you feel too frustrated by not bringing anything down, switch to something like P-38L from time to time to enjoy the explosions.

As far as situational awareness is concerned, use external views to see what's happening around you. I find it to be the best way to go about it, but first try to guess where the enemy is from your cockpit, and then pause and use f2 to see whether you were correct. You will be able to see that your judgement improves over time, and you'll find yourself less and less reliant on this crutch. Pause is also a useful crutch in general to bring your act together when things get hectic.

Reducing game speed for targeting is useful to a degree, but I find it to be a double-edged sword. Yes, things are happening much more slowly so you have more time to aim, but with reduced speed the maneuvers become more erratic in fact, as it's hard to judge how much you're pulling on the stick. Since I practiced flying on normal speed, this creates as many problems as it solves, because the plane behaves differently and I'm less efficient in flying it, and stall more often from inappropriate handling. In combat, things still happen way too quickly on normal for me to be able to react or let alone target, but I think I'm going nowhere with flying on one speed and firing on the other, so I'm practicing how to do it at normal speed now. Likewise with the close-up (narrow) gunsight view. It's easier to see the target and to aim, but I tend to lose all sight of my plane's postion in space, and end up stalling because I don't know where I am or how I'm flying without seeing some reference points or instruments.

Another good thing is to adjust you joystick settings to something less erratic than the default settings. There was a good thread very recently on this forum on joystick settings which you might find useful.

Good luck

[This message was edited by hrvojej on Fri March 19 2004 at 12:59 PM.]

easy.

fly at least 2 hour 5 nights a week.
    do this for 6 months.

you will then be an excellent shooter.

Learn to use prop pitch to its full potential, then go online and shoot ppl down who fly Ki's and La-7's and watch them start 5 Page threads about certain planes being overmodeled.

icrash's Avatar Senior Member
    Unlimited ammo good & bad. I got into the bad habit of spray & pray. I'm currently working on getting rid of this & learning to fly with cockpit on. (I ran out of ammo trying to break s&p and had to leave the fight early on several occasions.) The bright side is ua lets you work on gunnery longer. As for getting somebody off your 6, lot harder. Learn your fighter's strenths & use 'em. Try & get idea of other plane's weaknesses & exploit them. You are never going to ditch everyone all the time and never fall into a pattern (well against human opponent anyway).