Set your convergance to 150-200m for attacking fighters, further out for bombers. You'll have to experiment to see what works best for you. Oh, don't forget gunsight toggle (shift+F1?).

"You can try, but it is a difficult and thankless task to compare the combat qualities of aircraft using reference book data. There are simply too many nuances to consider." N. G. Golodnikov

practice, patience, and a steady hand

ucanfly's Avatar Senior Member
    Don't spray the guns around like a waterhose (like I do)! Get a "stable" and preferably constant tracking solution and give concentrated fire. Adjust visually with tracers and try not to over correct in pitch. Good joystick and/or playing around with joystick profile in game helps with overcorrecting.

Zeus-cat's Avatar Senior Member
    I was horrible at gunnery when I first started. I mean really, really bad. Now I am a pretty good shot. I still have trouble with certain high angle shots.

The only advice I can give is practice, practice, practice.

Gunnery is something that is very difficult and believe it or not but 5% accuracy is average for a veteran player. Only the "snipers" get more than 15%.

All the advice I can give is practice, practice, practice. Practice on big targets first that don't shoot back such as friendly bombers. Once you get that down move to enemy bombers. Gradually work down to smaller and smaller bombers and eventually switch to fighters. Also, it helps if you stick to one type of plane at first. Learning to shoot is hard enough, learning to shoot 50 different types of guns on 100 different types of planes makes things a whole lot tougher than they need to be initially.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The F7F Tigercat in Aces Over the Pacific is overmodeled.

Once you start on fighters, fly against rookys in inferior planes (Yak-3 vs. bf.109E-4), and learn to hit them from directly behind at 150m. then work on deflection shooting against them in equal aircraft.

Once you start on fighters, fly against rookys in inferior planes (Yak-3 vs. bf.109E-4), and learn to hit them from directly behind at 150m. then work on deflection shooting against them in equal aircraft. that will teach you when to fire.

Averybody here said the right things. I just want to add. Practice only with realistic gunnery and cockpit on.

I did this mistake with original IL2. Remember me shooting down the plains from distance like 1-2 km. lol. And i remember my disapointment when i switched realistic gunnery on... The same story about no cockpit view.

Deflection Gunnery? Is there any info on this?

Newby here, and I am getting a lot better against the bombers in QMB, but can never shake the AI fighters. I end up in a flat spin or in flames. Is it possible to out-maneuver an AI fighter, usually some kind of BF109, and what basic moves to practice?

Vassilon...I find the HE-111 (all versions) the easiest bomber to kill, even in the IL-2 at >500M. Avoid the Russian ones as opponents for a little while, I find that they bite back real hard. Conserve your cannon until you get close, and be patient for a good shot. I give them some small arms fire to keep their heads down, but I save the cannon for the kill. Once you see that sucker explode, yer hooked.

To Vassilon:
    The way I figured out deflection shooting was to get about 250 - 500 M away from the target, and fire some 1 second bursts. At that point press P on your keyboard to pause the game. Press F1 to get your outside view. Once you have paused the game, use your mouse to scan in and out and to rotate your view. Look close up to your target and see where your tracer bullets are going. At first, you will probably see that your shots are falling behind the target. So next step is to resume the chase and try firing a bit more ahead of the target. Then pause and repeat the process until you gain hits. Also, try not to shake your joystick while firing as you need to concentrate your point of aim.
    Good luck!
    Blakesleewaffe