The question is this: When playing in an online dogfight do we need to take into account latency of an internet connection when firing our wepons (or increase the amount of lead for lag)? I hadn't really thought about it til the other night when I was locked on the six of an enemy plane. He made a turn and I lined up for a deflection shot, pulled the trigger and nothing was hitting. I repositioned, fired, and still nothing. Frustrated, I dove to gain airspeed to close the gap a bit tried it again with the same results. Never did much more then take a few chunks out of his plane before I was outta ammo.

Now when practicing offline I'm pretty much spot on with the shooting. Of course I don't know if just that in the heat of the battle combined with the excitement I end up losing all form. Any thoughts. BTW I am playing on a fast broadband connection so my connection isn't really slow.

The question is this: When playing in an online dogfight do we need to take into account latency of an internet connection when firing our wepons (or increase the amount of lead for lag)? I hadn't really thought about it til the other night when I was locked on the six of an enemy plane. He made a turn and I lined up for a deflection shot, pulled the trigger and nothing was hitting. I repositioned, fired, and still nothing. Frustrated, I dove to gain airspeed to close the gap a bit tried it again with the same results. Never did much more then take a few chunks out of his plane before I was outta ammo.

Now when practicing offline I'm pretty much spot on with the shooting. Of course I don't know if just that in the heat of the battle combined with the excitement I end up losing all form. Any thoughts. BTW I am playing on a fast broadband connection so my connection isn't really slow.

It is very difficult to hit a plane that is "lagging". If they have a slow connection they can jump all over the place and dodge your shots.