U.S.S. Belleau Wood LHA-3, I served onboard her from 1978-1982, I was part of her first crew and missed her commissioning by only 2 months, at 19 years old I was her only certified Helmsman, for 3 years I took her in and out of port and along side other ships during refueling and battle stations, I made her first West-Pac cruise and was there from the begining. she was a proud Lady and a Great ship. they will be decommissioning her on Oct 28th in San Diego. its kinda strange to see her retired when I remember her as a new ship

this is her last entry into San Diego, her crew is manning the rail as is tradition on the final voyage

The LHA class ship is 863 ft long, 108ft wide, (so she can fit through the panama canal with 6" on each side)she has a 32ft draft un-flooded and 46ft when flooded, she is 80 ft from the flight deck to the waterline, 106 foot at the bridge wing and 180 ft at the mast, which is retractable so she can fit under the Coronado bridge the entire Island structure is aluminum, she displaced 40,000 tons, she has a crew of about 800 officers and enlisted and can carry a detachment of 2500 Marines with air crew. she has a climte adjustable room so that the marines can train before dis-embarking to any climate in the world, she carries all type of helo's and also the AV-8 Harrier, there were only 5 LHA's built with Belleau Wood being the 3rd and Peleliu being the last. Belleau Wood is the first to be decommision tho, dunno why :-/ uhm I hope it didnt have anything to do with that time I bounced her off the Pier in San Diego

U.S.S. Belleau Wood LHA-3, I served onboard her from 1978-1982, I was part of her first crew and missed her commissioning by only 2 months, at 19 years old I was her only certified Helmsman, for 3 years I took her in and out of port and along side other ships during refueling and battle stations, I made her first West-Pac cruise and was there from the begining. she was a proud Lady and a Great ship. they will be decommissioning her on Oct 28th in San Diego. its kinda strange to see her retired when I remember her as a new ship

this is her last entry into San Diego, her crew is manning the rail as is tradition on the final voyage

The LHA class ship is 863 ft long, 108ft wide, (so she can fit through the panama canal with 6" on each side)she has a 32ft draft un-flooded and 46ft when flooded, she is 80 ft from the flight deck to the waterline, 106 foot at the bridge wing and 180 ft at the mast, which is retractable so she can fit under the Coronado bridge the entire Island structure is aluminum, she displaced 40,000 tons, she has a crew of about 800 officers and enlisted and can carry a detachment of 2500 Marines with air crew. she has a climte adjustable room so that the marines can train before dis-embarking to any climate in the world, she carries all type of helo's and also the AV-8 Harrier, there were only 5 LHA's built with Belleau Wood being the 3rd and Peleliu being the last. Belleau Wood is the first to be decommision tho, dunno why :-/ uhm I hope it didnt have anything to do with that time I bounced her off the Pier in San Diego

WOLFMondo's Avatar Senior Member
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BSS_CUDA:
    I hope it didnt have anything to do with that time I bounced her off the Pier in San Diego </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And they still let you at the helm!

S! Cuda

Sounds like good memories.

I understand where you flying style comes from, long slow turns, etc. hehe

huggy87's Avatar Senior Member
    It is hard to believe we are scrapping ships so relatively new. I was on the enterprise in 2001, the worlds first nucliear carrier, and it was 40 years old at that time. The thing is expected to serve into the next decade.

Taylortony's Avatar Senior Member
    So were you known as Uncle Albert?

steve_v's Avatar Senior Member
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BSS_CUDA:
    She was a proud Lady and a Great ship. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Time will never change that.

horseback's Avatar Senior Member
    At least you got a new ship, _cuda. I got a Garcia class frigate that was 8 years old when I got to her, and the whole class was made with recycled parts! No wonder we spent so much time dead in the water...the Davy Maru was decommissioned almost twenty years ago, and given to Brazil, where no doubt, she is being cursed as thoroughly in Portuguese as she was in English, Hawaiian, and Tagalog.

I take it that you were a Bosun's Mate? As an ET, I was assigned as JL Talker on the Special Sea & Anchor Detail myself.

cheers

horseback

Sucks to see "your" ship get pulled.

I was on the USS AMERICA CVA-66 as a memeber of CAG 8 on her last WESTPAC cruise. My squadron dropped the last bombs of the Viet Nam conflict.

They drug my ship out to sea and shot her full of holes recently.

Well, I never cruised on her but I was on board a couple of times. Feel like I know her pretty well after doing so many load ex's. Sad.