ytareh's Avatar Senior Member
    OK so Im curious about the claims that people can spot dots with super high resolutions .Would you mind trying this(and post your res?) ?In the quick mission generator pick the 109G2 and as enemy 4xI16type 24s ....map Crimea and height 5000m...Now (on heading of about 86 degrees and keeping nose up a bit ) how many seconds before you spot the four enemy dots?

OK so Im curious about the claims that people can spot dots with super high resolutions .Would you mind trying this(and post your res?) ?In the quick mission generator pick the 109G2 and as enemy 4xI16type 24s ....map Crimea and height 5000m...Now (on heading of about 86 degrees and keeping nose up a bit ) how many seconds before you spot the four enemy dots?

depends on your and the enemy speed.
    and how good your eyes are.
    and if you keep perfect course and altitude or if you deviate a little bit.

Max throttle ...dont have to be too particular just a rough test...

na85's Avatar Senior Member
    Does the LandGeom setting have anything to do with dot rendering range?

good idea to do the comparison, its something that has been bothering me for years.

i think you need a more standardized way to compare what different il2 gamers can see, or report they can see. for ex have a few video clips people can load to make it easy for them to use, and then be sure you are comparing apples with apples when they report their observations.

why not make a track file for this purpose ?

Jaws2002's Avatar Senior Member
    Eight seconds.

This is dependant on the "Dot range" settings.
    Ever been in a server where you won't see the dots until they are right on top of you, That's because the host tried to save on computing power too much and you end up with icons showing before the dot. Anything shorter then 15km is wrong.
    When i was playing in Historia server i didn't know why it was so nice and easy to identify and pick dots from confortable ranges. The 20Km setting for the "Dot" Was just perfect.

Thanks for the time Jaws now what res is that at ?Im at 6-7 seconds .I dont think the standardisation of test variables is too critical but then again maybe its only gonna take the slowest guy 9 or 10 seconds anyway in which case the whole test is not that reliable . .

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">now what res is that at </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

On 22" monitor, @1680x1050 with everything i could find maxed out. The mp_dotrange was set at 14Km.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... Last ►►