According to game's database Maria Auditore was born in 1432 and Giovanni Auditore was born in 1436. Maria wrote in her diary that she met the man(!) she fell in love with a week before she was 16 (Giovanni was 12 then) and they married in 1450 when Maria was 18 and Giovanni was 14. Am I missing something here? This is...weird.

Abeonis's Avatar Senior Member
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by joojoo_jj2:
    According to game's database Maria Auditore was born in 1432 and Giovanni Auditore was born in 1436.Maria wrote in her diary that she met the man(!) she fell in love a week before she was 16(Giovanni was 12 then) and they married in 1450 when Maria was 18 and Giovanni was 14.Am I missing something here?This is...weird </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    It wasn't uncommon for ladies to be married at the age of eleven, let alone eighteen in times past... especially if the marriage was prearranged. Likewise, the men were married off quite young as well, so it's entirely believable that they might've got married at those ages.

pahaha. Good catch! I guess that is what they did back in the olden days. Although, it makes sense seeing as how their life expectancy was nowhere near what it is today. From what is quickly looked up it looks as if they were only projected to live to 48 years of age. Not bad when they didn't have advanced medicine as we do today.

BTW I believe it's legal for a minor at the age of 14 to get married with parental consent in Mississippi. You do need a judge to waive the age restriction though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by joojoo_jj2:
    According to game's database Maria Auditore was born in 1432 and Giovanni Auditore was born in 1436.Maria wrote in her diary that she met the man(!) she fell in love a week before she was 16(Giovanni was 12 then) and they married in 1450 when Maria was 18 and Giovanni was 14.Am I missing something here?This is...weird </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Women often married between the ages of 12 and 18, though 18 and not married was often considered a disgrace. Women married so young not because of life expectancy, but because at a younger age it is easier and healthier for her to bear children, a concept we seem to have forgotten today. Also, marriage was never done for love, well, almost never, but it was often done for family relationships and connections as an attempt to raise themselves higher in the social ladder.
    Men could marry and almost any age, though it is odd for the husband and wife to be close in age, often times men would marry between their late twenties to earlier forties. Though, at this point, he might have been through about two wives.
    It may seem strange to us, but there are still parts of the world who use this custom.

itsamea-mario's Avatar Senior Member
    yeh but the strange thing is not that they married at a young age, its that giovani married someone older, as Uchihakarasu said it was usual for an older man to marry a younger women but here it is an older woman marrying a younger man, i dont think that was common.

Marriages were arranged between families back then and were mainly concerned with maintaining their power and status. It was occassionally the case that marriage alliances were arranged between families when children were infants, or even as yet unborn.

well....IU hate to bring this up but since my English teacher is forcing me to read it...Romeo and Juilet pops into mind. It even took place in Italy. As much as I hate the book it was somewhere around that time and they were both 14

Romeo and Juliet was in the Elizabethan era, but customs are still pretty similar
    Also, there marriage wasn't arranged
    It's possible that Maria's and Giovanni's wasn't either

Oh, sorry I was guessing the same for Giovanni. I still can't get around that book though. I hate it's guts, especially since the whole thing takes 5 days in the plot! (SPOILER if you haven't read it) They meet, marry the next day, get laid and then bassicaly commit suicide within a week at 14? the frick?...not even an assassination