View Poll Results: How do u prefer to handle an expected attack?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Block it.

3 9.68%
  • Counter it.

27 87.10%
  • Dodge it.

1 3.23%
    adarwinter's Avatar Senior Member
    A.C. gives u more options than u probably need, but its nice to have them non the less.

besides the poll i would like to ask about the differences between the options altair is given.

1) what is the difference in gameplay between the sword and the dagger? does one have an edge over the other? is it just me or is it faster to attack after a dodge with the blade? with the blade u can toss it if the guard is too far away, than where is the sword better?

2) why would i use a dodge when i can counter? is there a reason to dodge if , most of the time, u cant hit back afterwards? are there times where u can do a dodge but u cant to a counter?

3) is there a difference between dodging to the sides or dodging back? its harder to dodge to the side so i wonder if there is a benefit for it.

A.C. gives u more options than u probably need, but its nice to have them non the less.

besides the poll i would like to ask about the differences between the options altair is given.

1) what is the difference in gameplay between the sword and the dagger? does one have an edge over the other? is it just me or is it faster to attack after a dodge with the blade? with the blade u can toss it if the guard is too far away, than where is the sword better?

2) why would i use a dodge when i can counter? is there a reason to dodge if , most of the time, u cant hit back afterwards? are there times where u can do a dodge but u cant to a counter?

3) is there a difference between dodging to the sides or dodging back? its harder to dodge to the side so i wonder if there is a benefit for it.

First off, it's a short sword, not a dagger.

I prefer countering with the hidden blade when my timing is good and I have a huge sync bar, but since you don't offer that option, I've chosen Long sword + counter.

1. The long sword has a stronger attack, but is slower.

2. The dodge is there to mix things up. You can, however, attack immediately after dodging, so that you'll attack when they are unprepared to deflect the blow.

3. You can dodge to the sides? Cool.

1. sword=stronger, slower
    knife=faster, cooler mvoes
    2. if maybe you need to heal and dont wanna miss with counter and die
    3. uhhh ^^^what cooldude said^^^

Oh, Lord...

I said it a bunch of times before!
    You people just don't... read... >_>

You can dodge in any direction that you want, except towards the enemy.

There's a difference between the dodge, and the skip...

There IS a reason to dodge instead of counter-attacking - you can't counter-attack, or even defend against a block-break. Also, dodges are a LOT easier to pull off than counters. They come out slower, yes, but the window of opportunity lasts a lot longer. It's also a good tactic to use to get out of a pinch, because guards will try to advance a lot when they manage to corner you than they will when you're out in the open.

Also, when dodging, you can counter-attack while still remaining in High Profile mode and you will block, and potentially even counter incoming attacks WHILE you're attacking.

I'm thinking of writing a guide about combat mechanics some time.

*edit*
    Am I to understand that there's no mechanical difference between the long sword and the short sword, other than throwing knives and the secondary parameters of speed, power and range?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Malidictus:

Also, when dodging, you can counter-attack while still remaining in High Profile mode and you will block, and potentially even counter incoming attacks WHILE you're attacking.
    </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

what? i didnt get that one. do u mean that u can dodge and immedietly counter another incoming attack? i didnt get it.

about a tutorial - i suggest opening a thread about combat tips. i will start it and please - post your thoguhts, malidictus. every person will add a comment of a top about sword fighting.

and i didnt see a difference in the short and long swords, damage wise. does it really take more hits with the short sword to kill?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">what? i didnt get that one. do u mean that u can dodge and immedietly counter another incoming attack? i didnt get it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pressing your weapon hand button after dodging will allow you to attack even though you are in High Profile mode and your weapon hand button is actually supposed to parry. As long as you keep pressing it, you can chain combos while in High Profile mode and attack in greater safety than you can while in Low Profile mode. Furthermore, if you attempt to attack while an attack is coming towards you, your Counter will override the combo and you will counter, or at the very least parry.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Malidictus:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">what? i didnt get that one. do u mean that u can dodge and immedietly counter another incoming attack? i didnt get it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pressing your weapon hand button after dodging will allow you to attack even though you are in High Profile mode and your weapon hand button is actually supposed to parry. As long as you keep pressing it, you can chain combos while in High Profile mode and attack in greater safety than you can while in Low Profile mode. Furthermore, if you attempt to attack while an attack is coming towards you, your Counter will override the combo and you will counter, or at the very least parry. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you have lightning fingers, you can actually counter while dodging the enemy's attack followed by his defense break move. But you need to be extremely fast. Dodge, Counter in less than a half second.

Good point. I hadn't thought of that. I considered myself oh so smart for noticing you can dodge the follow-up of a Guard Break

Far as I see things, I would have been happy if Guard Breaks themselves couldn't be countered. As it stands, they come out VERY fast, but can still be countered, especially if you're expecting them. The final enemy, for instance, always opens with a guard-break, so it's easy to predict.