I've got a quick question, being relatively new to ground attack in IL-2/PF.

When flying towards my ground target from altitude while flying straight-and-level, since my instrument panel gets in the way, how do I tell where my target is so I can see when to begin my bombing run?

I've got a quick question, being relatively new to ground attack in IL-2/PF.

When flying towards my ground target from altitude while flying straight-and-level, since my instrument panel gets in the way, how do I tell where my target is so I can see when to begin my bombing run?

That was a nice tutorial that answered many questions. But it did not answer my primary question much. It explained a lot on rolling inverted (which is harder for me to do because I don't have TrackIR) but it didn't go into detail with trying to dive from straight-and-level. All it said was roll and dive for the approach, which sometimes is much harder than going in (especially while being shot at from up and down and all around).

So to approach the bombing run from straight-and -level, do I just continually pitch my nose up and down (rather difficult and hard on the plane) to check distance? Or is there a better and easier way than that?

Zeus-cat's Avatar Senior Member
    You can roll the aircraft to the left or right and then look out the side.

I would think a real pilot would lean over and look out over the side of the aircraft. Since we can't do that I figure it is OK to cheat a little bit and use F2 to get an external view once in a while.

You don't have to have trackir to dive bomb.

This might help you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLgLLyZeOHQ

Personally I'm not 100% sure what's being asked. When I approach a target, while some distance away from where I believe it to be I turn away slightly, maybe 45 degrees or so, so I can see the area using zoomed-in view. This makes for a slightly circling approach as I get closer. Once I get close enough to see details I can pretty much judge where I am relative to the target area even without seeing it directly, and can turn directly towards it (after circling so as to approach it from the desired direction). Then it's just a matter of rolling in (or simply diving to line up) depending on the aircraft--e.g., in the Stuka the standard approach is to roll inverted and pull past. Personal preference plays a big role here. In many cases you may want to throttle back so as to give yourself more time to line up, but if AA fire is really hot you might want to practice lining up quickly at higher throttle settings.

If this doesn't address your questions, could you please describe a typical engagement, in detail, as you are experiencing it, including the point at which you get into trouble? Might be helpful understanding where the problem is.

Cheers!