Here is a question that was probably asked before but I am curious about the "stinger" MG17 machine gun in the tail cone of the He 111H-6. It is there in the external model and it is supposed to be there but I have never seen it firing.

Can I assume the functionality was never modelled in the sim ? ie. it won't fire and it is there stricly for show ? If not modelled, why ?

Thanks,

Jagd

Here is a question that was probably asked before but I am curious about the "stinger" MG17 machine gun in the tail cone of the He 111H-6. It is there in the external model and it is supposed to be there but I have never seen it firing.

Can I assume the functionality was never modelled in the sim ? ie. it won't fire and it is there stricly for show ? If not modelled, why ?

Thanks,

Jagd

it work, but the IA control it

Oh he shoots, all right. A lot . But you probably wont see him shoot at you at close range. You need to be on some distance and straight at his six.. that's what makes *him* angry.

It's a MG15 BTW. The MG-17 is the red one.

Who fired that thing in real life? Doesn't look like a person could fit back there.

fordfan25's Avatar Senior Member
    i think the gunner layed down

There is no gunner there. The weapon was fixed to fire directly back.

It is triggerd from one of the other positions.

and i've been shot down alot by it, it's a real suckergun..

but some while ago there was a thread in GD where was shown what He111's had even more up their tail.. and it was'nt pretty

I hear about Coastal Command Beaufighters (or anti-shipping Beaufighters) which had rear-firing Lewis guns with all-incendenary ammunition in the back of the engine nacelles. When diving on a ship, the gunner/navigator would fire these guns to scare attacking Zeros, just long enough to fire at the ship.