There are primarily defensive fighters like the spitfire and primary offensive one's such as the me-109.

what do you believe to be the best defensive fighter plane of ww 2

There are primarily defensive fighters like the spitfire and primary offensive one's such as the me-109.

what do you believe to be the best defensive fighter plane of ww 2

In the game it would have to be the La5FN with the P-39 D series really close as well as the P-63's.

Treetop64's Avatar Senior Member
    I'd argue that the 109s were all defensive types, due to their very short oprational radius and climbing abilities. They may have been used offensively, but they were limited in that regard.

ElAurens's Avatar Senior Member
    Both the Spit and 109 were short ranged defensive fighters.

Much depends on what you are defending against.

If bombers are what are vexing you than an FW 190 would seem to be the best choice.

If marauding fighters or fighter bombers are your problem, then I'm gonna say La-7 or a late high boost Spitfire, or perhaps a Mustang or Ki84. Or a real wild card, the F8F Bearcat.

not sure what you mean by defensive.

I will put it this way using a better example. The f4 was a offensive fighter (long range capability and lots of weapons) and the Mig 21 defensive (short range and limited offensive weapons). One is for area defense and one for wide ranging offensive operation.

The 109 was used as both offensively in the beginning stages and defensively in the later and the spit was used the same way only reversed.

In actuality these two fighters are both defensive aren't they! Sorry..

get the idea now ?

Defensive is therefore a short range fighter with limited offensive weapons capability.

CUJO_1970's Avatar Senior Member
    The FW190 is best at everything, always.

So I'm going with FW190.

Spitfire.

A good defensive fighter needs to have good powerloading...check.

A good defensive fighter needs to be able to avoid attack from higher enemies...check.

A good defensive fighter needs to be heavily armed...check.

A good defensive fighter should be easy to fly...check.

Add to that the fact that the Spitfire isn't slow, and you have a clear case for it being the best defensive fighter of the war.

J2M Raiden, "on paper" as they say. Production and mechanical maladies IRL duly noted however.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last ►►