Targ's Avatar Senior Member
    I did last night. FX55 to be exact, so I am hooking back up water cooling as I did not like the fancy heatsink and I get everything connected and leak test the system. Press the power button and no post, beeep, beeep, beeep every 5 seconds.
    Hmmm, I check all of the connectioms, make sure all of the cards and memory is slotted right, press the power button. Beeep...
    Dang, maybe a got some artic silver on the mobo or something? nope.
    Well, that leaves the cpu. Pulled everything apart (I love the smell of that anti alge stuff in the water) the cpu seems seated right? Take it out looking at it everything seems normal, WAIT!!! OMG there is a broken pin on the chip!!!
    Dont panic I tell myself, than I start to think..Hmmm Summer is close and I really spend to much time behind the computer and heck I have that xp2500 chip that aint that bad.
    Or maybe I can fix it?
    So I am thinking that since it is an outer pin that it wont be a logic pin and more than likly it is just a ground pin. So I strip some old lan cable and it has what looks to be the right wire, solid piece unwound. So I eyeball it and cut a small piece off and with some tweezers place it in the cpu pin hole on the mobo. I place the cpu back on, lock it and put everything together.
    Now, I am thinking again... what if that wire is touching one of the close pins? Should I go get the fire ext? Am I going to do more damage than just the cpu?
    Heck, no guts no glory! So I press the power button and than I remember the saying no brain no pain...
    So did everything work out or am I on the other computer looking at enjoying lots of fresh air and get caught up on my reading?

I did last night. FX55 to be exact, so I am hooking back up water cooling as I did not like the fancy heatsink and I get everything connected and leak test the system. Press the power button and no post, beeep, beeep, beeep every 5 seconds.
    Hmmm, I check all of the connectioms, make sure all of the cards and memory is slotted right, press the power button. Beeep...
    Dang, maybe a got some artic silver on the mobo or something? nope.
    Well, that leaves the cpu. Pulled everything apart (I love the smell of that anti alge stuff in the water) the cpu seems seated right? Take it out looking at it everything seems normal, WAIT!!! OMG there is a broken pin on the chip!!!
    Dont panic I tell myself, than I start to think..Hmmm Summer is close and I really spend to much time behind the computer and heck I have that xp2500 chip that aint that bad.
    Or maybe I can fix it?
    So I am thinking that since it is an outer pin that it wont be a logic pin and more than likly it is just a ground pin. So I strip some old lan cable and it has what looks to be the right wire, solid piece unwound. So I eyeball it and cut a small piece off and with some tweezers place it in the cpu pin hole on the mobo. I place the cpu back on, lock it and put everything together.
    Now, I am thinking again... what if that wire is touching one of the close pins? Should I go get the fire ext? Am I going to do more damage than just the cpu?
    Heck, no guts no glory! So I press the power button and than I remember the saying no brain no pain...
    So did everything work out or am I on the other computer looking at enjoying lots of fresh air and get caught up on my reading?

slipBall's Avatar Senior Member
    I bet it all worked out just fine

I feel the same way as SlipBall

the bodge worked....for now

Methinks if you'd just nerfed a $900 CPU you wouldn't be on here posting about it, so I say the fix worked!

I just priced them and $811 at newegg and zipzoomfly!
    Dang, the price on these has not budged much since I bought it new

slipBall's Avatar Senior Member
    Targ, my brother live's up there in Keni. If you see him, tell him he is a dirt bag for not calling, once in a while

I remember on my early PC (when I first started IL2), I got a bit over-energetic with my graphics card when pulling it from the AGP slot and to my horror i broke a bit off the AGP slot.
    Praying the card would still work I re-inserted and the card and whole MB refused to start!

That day, I sat in despair cos I just couldn`t afford a new PC.

Then I decided to try again and piece the broken bit of the AGP port with Blu-Tac! Yes, i was desperate and my PC know-how was NIL!

But it worked! I used the PC like that with a graphics card gingerly balancing in its busted AGP port for 6 months before I could afford to upgrade it! LOL!

Sadly I avoid the Kenai anymore cept for fall trout fishing as there are way to many tourists anymore.
    Shame he does not call though..
    PS the fix did work, amazed really, but it had to have been just a ground pin. If it was a logic pin I would have been toast I think. I thought about soldering it but than decided my soldering skills are not leet enough. Heh, boy was I happy when it posted and all was well

BaldieJr's Avatar Senior Member
    i'd solder it for you if you weren't a few weeks drive away. take it to a tv repair shop (STATIC BAG!!!!11). I bet they'd do it for a song.