steve_v's Avatar Senior Member
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Targ:

PS the fix did work, amazed really, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>You must be Irish.

Targ's Avatar Senior Member
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by steve_v:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Targ:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Ha no kidding!
    Thanks for the offer Baldie, I am going to leave well enough alone for now as it seems to have fixed it. I did find a place that will and has in the past soldered pins on cpu's for 30 bucks. So if it becomes an issue that is the route I will take.

MLudner's Avatar Banned
    Well, I was going to recommend chewing gum and a magnifying lens...

Targ's Avatar Senior Member
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MLudner:
    Well, I was going to recommend chewing gum and a magnifying lens... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Next time be sure

Bearcat99's Avatar Senior Member
    Ouch....

fordfan25's Avatar Senior Member
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by steve_v:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>dont beleave all the hype im half Irish and youv rearly seen worse luck. im what you call a s*** magnet

I've never even held an $800.00 CPU. I just bought a Venice 3200+ for $160.00 (should be here tomorrow, along with an the Epox motherboard, and PCIE 6800GS). That is the most I've ever paid for a CPU.

fordfan25's Avatar Senior Member
    yea 800 bucks for a CPU....man thats a lot of ******s right there

yeah actually, ive never broken a pin on purpose :-)

CPU's are definitely not bullet proof as a scientific test I did found out.

I'd have to say your Rig is running Fine. Hopefully!

<span class="ev_code_YELLOW">Found this little Article...</span>

Ever break a cpu pin off of the cpu?
    if so, this may help
    I take no responsibility for any damage done to you, your equipment, or your friends who are watching you do this.

Things needed:
    ur cpu that will not work due to a broken off pin
    the motherboard u want to use that cpu in
    an old ethernet cable, or any wire with thin solid (non-twined) wire in it
    a good sense of length.
    pliers

1) Strip the wire you have

2) cut off a piece approximately the length of a cpu pin.

3) Place that piece of wire sticking up in the hole of the cpu socket that corresponds to the missing pin on the cpu.
    (if it doesn't fit, either grind it down(pliers work) or find a smaller wire)

4) place the cpu in the socket

5) have fun with ur pc again

side notes, if more than one pin are broken off in close proximity (next to eachother) make sure that the wires do not touch when the cpu is pressed in, or you may end up with more dead parts than you started out with.

If this helps anyone all credit goes to my friend,
    he actually performed this operation during a lan party after he accidentally broke a second pin off of his cpu.

<span class="ev_code_YELLOW">And also this story...</span>

Hello All You Caring CO-Members!

Need some compassion.

This morning I received a new Asus A8V Deluxe motherboard, and a new Athlon 64 3800+ Venice Core CPU.

I arranged everything, in order to make the installation of the CPU easy, such as a magnifying glass, decent light, and the glasses I wear for reading.

I opened the boxes carefully, took the MB out, read the advice, took the CPU out of the box, and placed the CPU in the socket. I observed that the CPU was not seated correctly, as the CPU is supposed to more or less "fall" in, when the retention lever is raised to its max position.

I took up the CPU again, looked at the 939 pins, and I saw nothing abnormal. I placed the CPU in the socket again, and this time I pushed it into the socket, and it was seated alright. I got suspicious and lifted the cpu, and looked at the pins. My God! a pin was bended!

I called my wife, and she handed me a thin needle. I carefully lifted the bended pin, and CRACK! THE PIN BROKE!!

Just ordered a new 3800+ Venice core CPU again, I'll get it tomorrow, and that little broken PIN cost me 500$

Why do I write this story here? I do, because this CPU is probably the no. 10 - 15 CPU I have installed, in my "career" and though I like to think of myself as almost perfect, when it comes to mechanic skills, this story just shows that nobody is perfect.

This was a brand new story from the real life, told by a mourning co-member.