Here's a somewhat random question about the Beaufighter.

The Beaufighter carries 60lb HE rocket projectiles in PF.
    I've read that UK based Beaufighter squadrons (specifically 404 Sqdn) used 25lb AP RPs against shipping.

How effective would 60lb HE rockets (ie the Beaufighter's load in PF) be against shipping?

Here's a somewhat random question about the Beaufighter.

The Beaufighter carries 60lb HE rocket projectiles in PF.
    I've read that UK based Beaufighter squadrons (specifically 404 Sqdn) used 25lb AP RPs against shipping.

How effective would 60lb HE rockets (ie the Beaufighter's load in PF) be against shipping?

Try em out for yourself

A salvo of 60 lb rockets is the same as a broadside from a battleship

slo_1_2_3's Avatar Senior Member
    Speaking of rockets I"ve always wondered what hvar and ap stand for ap is armour peircing right bur whats hvar?

High Velocity something Rocket?

http://www.designation-systems.net/d...n-rockets.html

go to QMB, use the pacific island map - there are 4 Frieghters/Tankers on the map. there you can easy test the rockets.
    so far i remember 2 HVAR are sinking a Freighter/Tanker . cant remember the british rockets anymore, but, if at all, not much more are needed

Strangely enough, while the 25lbs AP warhead was developed to attack tanks and the 60lbs SAP warhead was developed to attack shipping, they actually changed duties at some point in the war.

Strike wings of Beaufighters and Mosquitos often carried the 25lbs AP warheads for operations against submarines and warships. If it struck the surface of the water, the AP warhead would continue on for a ways, hopefully ripping the bottom out of its target or puncturing the hull of a sumbarine.

The 60lbr, originally intended as an anti-shipping weapon, found favour with the ground attack forces because its larger charge of high explosive did much more damage to soft or lightly armoured target than the small charge 25lbs AP warhead.

P.S.

HVAR = High Velocity Aerial Rocket

A salvo of 60 lb rockets is the same as a broadside from a battleship

More along the lines of a broadside from a destroyer. Battleship main armament shells being more like 2 or 3 (Yamato was about 3,300 I think) thousand pounds. Eight or nine of which would be extremely bad news to a city block.

Raisen

I know how effective they are in PF

I was wondering why UK based Beaufighter and Mosquito squadrons employed 25lb AP rockets against shipping, if it was that 60lb HE rockets weren't too good against shipping, or 25lb APs were just better. Thanks for the replies.

Time for a "We want 25lb AP Rockets" campaign?

The real Beaufighter question is:

Why didn't they give that bloke in the back a machine gun?