dieg777's Avatar Senior Member
    Here is my take on a british apache helicopter, wanted to build one since reading Ed Macys books

It is based on the 1/48 hasegawa ah-64d with the british bits stolen from a revell model.

It is straight out the box and went together well tho the instructions were a bit vague and I had to rely on photos sometime

It is the first time I have done a helio and the first figures Iv included

Paint was tamiya acrylic sprayed from a revell starter airbrush

the helio colour was a mix of drab olive and khaki and green and brown and grey until I was happy , not sure how accurate but the shade seems to change with light on the real thing and I think its not bad

tamiya smoke was used to highlight exhausts and grills

the pilots camo was a desert mix of whatever I had

no weathering as I like it as it is

I have tidies up the ir since this pic and straightened the gun mount, macro photos show up every blemish !!!

Great work there Diego. I hate macro too, but the public demands close-ups!

Anyway, I've started work on the Bv-141 kit. I'm planning to make it as "V10", circa 1941-ish and with RLM 70/71 splinter and 65 undersides.

(Cue spurious Doras to attract potential buyers )

However, a spanner was thrown into the works when I found this:

My interpretation is RLM 02 patchwork. As this is the only photo I have of this plane, I'm going to have to guess what's going on at the top of the wings, etc. Why can't I just pick an easy scheme ever

Work started with the fuselage, which was super-easy to assemble (no ****pit!) but soon I had to face reality and start the innards. I initially wanted this to be an OOB build, but after I saw just how thick the canopy parts were, I knew I'd have to replace them. However, that means more detail is required for the interior...grrrr...

Well, I got lazy:

Not my best work.

After that I painted it in RLM 66, but it has come to my attention that it could even be RLM 02. There was a directive to switch to RLM 66 in 1941, but BoB Heinkel and Junkers bombers with glazing had dark grey, and even Bf-109s had dark grey close to the canopy opening... Hmmm... The photos I have aren't much help, so I think I'll just stick with it unless I can be shown otherwise.

Sorry for the over-exposed shot. It is quite dark in there. Still to go: dry-brushing, chipping, seatbelts, touch-ups, etc.

Well, it seems UBI have fixed that pesky 4 image limit. Good news.

Anyway, I also have another French parasol on the bench: the Morane-Saulnier 230.

I started in the 'pit by sanding off the prominent Heller logo and scratching some detail (ribs, throttles, etc.) Everything got a coat of linen, and then oil paints on the stringers to simulate wood. Now, it's possible these were painted inside, but the photos I found showed bare interiors. Well, I'm past caring for it at this point, sorry

The elevators were inaccurate enough to force me to think about altering them

The engine was simple, yet well detailed. Unfortunately, I discovered I didn't do a great job of cleaning up the parts after taking this photo (@#$^&# macro!)

Fuselage was closed up, rivets removed and raised details subdued, followed by a coat of primer to show faults. Holes were drilled to accept stretched sprue hand-holds and foot-steps.

Elevators were filled and re-scribed. I will have to drill holes to accept the rigging.

The lower wing surface had no ailerons, so these were scribed. Here it is after a preliminary coat of paint. It will need at least one more.

That's all for now. The Airfix One Kit GB starts tomorrow, and it looks like the Hurricane will take it (too bad, I wanted the Firefly to win). That will have to share some build-time with these other two. Oh boy...

Looking good, Luno!

Still dithering here. I got my Korean F-86's out (Airfix and Academy) and thought about doing a two-at-once comparison build. Got a couple of Mig 15's too. My local shop is stocking the Tamiya 25 pounder gun and tractor set - a friend said he'd love one to display as his father served on them in North Africa. That would be a nice project with a nice end result when I hand it over. I've got a set of Dragon 8th Army British infantry I could put on the base. Haven't picked up any WWI planes yet.

csThor's Avatar Senior Member
    So ... after my rather opulent X-Mas vacation I found out two things.

1.) The base I'd started for both of my Stugs did draw humidity from somewhere and distorted badly. So it went into the trash.
    2.) I didn't like the paintjob of the second StuG and so I simply did it again. I also decided not to include it into another double-vignette with my other StuG but transfer it to Panzergrenadier Division "Grossdeutschland" and give it its own vignette.

I just covered the base with wood repair putty. Once it's dry I'll try to sand down the worst smear marks, then it'll be glued to the frame and the gaps will be filled with more putty.

Superb work, Thor. What scale is that again?

1/72 scale. The StuG is from Dragon (IMO one of their best kits in that scale), the figure in the loader's hatch is from Caesar, the other from HäT.

Gosh that's tiny then! Good work with that!

LF, let's see that Korean War duo! (and some WWI builds would be sweet too!)

So, Vignette is done.

Well, almost. The crew is yet to be done and the little plate with the title comes last.