you folks helped me make up my mind on graphics card now one more question. how can i determine how many watts my power supply is on my computer thanks in advance devildog. dumb question but is it marked on the power unit inside the computer

Yes it should have a tag with the power rating on it.remember todays computer and game require a mimimum of 350watts....400+watts would be even better....MORE POWER!!!!ARGHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Troll2k's Avatar Senior Member
    It is more than just the total watts.Each voltage has its own capability.The total wattage can be massaged by increasing the watts on a voltage that does not really need it and keeping one that does constant.(usually the 12 volts needs the most.Drives and fans,etc.)You want to make sure that each voltage has the amperage that your machine requires.

Check here to calculate what you need:

http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

To check the Watt just open up the side of your comp so u can see the side of the PSU.
    It should clearly state it's watt there.

bwchaney, my PSU broke the other week. Thought I could get any but after some research and posts it showed to be more complicated than just buying enough watt.