I wanted to know what WWII books you all recommended. So far I€ve read most of Stephen E. Ambrose€s books, €œI flew for the fuhrer€ by Heinz Knoke, and €œThe Hardest Day€ by Alfred Price. My favorite so far has been €œI flew for the fuhrer.€ What I€m looking for specifically are books by either side (allies or axis).

Folks in northern England may find Luftwaffe over the North by Bill Norman interesting

Everybody knows about the big battles that took place over Kent, but the raids on Yorkshire and Newcastle are less well remembered

Inadaze's Avatar Senior Member
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SkyPiggies:
    Folks in northern England may find http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...411690-1685210 by Bill Norman interesting

Everybody knows about the big battles that took place over Kent, but the raids on Yorkshire and Newcastle are less well remembered <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kewl, Cheers for the Link It's getting added to my Xmas pressie list. My parents can remember some of the raids during the war up here in the North East, it does tend to be forgotten that all of England got bombed, not just the more famous targets of London and Coventry.

The Big Show by Pierre Clostermann is a brilliant read, it follows him through the war flying Spitfires and then transferring to Tempests. An excellent book IMO.

S! Inadaze

KRISTORF's Avatar Senior Member
    Just finished reading "First Light" by Geoffrey Wellum DFC.
    This is his autobiography from when he joined the RAF as a seventeen year old in 1939, thru the Battle of Britain and onto the releif of Malta as part of H Force, flying Spitfire Mk Vb's from aircraft carriers in 1942.
    I would recommend this to any enthusiast of early ETO/Med air battles.

Chris M (Kristorf)

Hi,

I think 'The most dangerous enemy' by Stephen Bungay is the best WW2 aviation book I've read so far; not too many pilot accounts but it is an objective look at the BoB.

Cheers,
    Norris

WOLFMondo's Avatar Senior Member
    I second the Pierre Clostermans 'Big Show'. Excellent read and is thought provoking in many ways.

I like just about anything from Osprey. Not the most in deapth all the time but usually quality. They have a site and Amazons usually stock a good amount.

Luftwaffe Colours...that is, if I ever find it, and read it, I'll probably tell you that it rocks!

The Big Show and the Most Dangerous Enemy.