File under Bizarre: I got my copy of the game yesterday....from England!I had ordered this months ago ( I thought form Shockwave , but actually from GMX...) I don't think I ever received a confirmation , so when it didn't come out last Spring , I forgot about it & reordered from Shockwave about 3 weeks ago....Yesterday in arrived "by Post." I will probably get the other "Big Box" copy today...Quie a slim package I must say , but installed smoothly enough & the openig screens & game format are quite attractive...althiough missions take froever to load( you think Il-2 Forgotten Battles take a while...just wait & I mean that!)Go figure....
    As to a review of game ...well, Shockwave over at Airwarfare has said it better than I could - here's the end of that review posted last week:
    "The graphics. Well, imho, FB is still king. the cockpits are nice, but no better than FB. Clouds and aircraft detail is very good. Ground detail is pretty bad . It appears FS2004 detail. You will find yourself missing the clarity of FBs ground at low height. But you do get 3D buildings and moving vehicles.

BOBwov needs a patch. It has some issues with CTDs (although I have mercifully suffered only one in 2 days of play), getting some joystick functions to stick (such as hat) and perhaps optimising the engine a little. Some complain of a `slowness` to the sim in some areas.

BoBwov is a game that really has great potential, but it might prove off-putting to new users if they try full-real settings. Try easier settings and work up unless you're a vet. I think the BOBwov real promise is in getting stuck in there and bringing out the delicious centre! lol. Just remember, I've only been on it like a day and a half.... Oh, yea, and you must try blackouts, it's very good."

It does need a patch or two to deal with slow FPS in large dogfights, CTD's,and the ground graphics are pretty mundane compared with IL-2..weak even.Planes seem to handle well enough on veteran or novice settings,but I am used to HUD settings on Il-2 ( I know , I'm a baby) & have trouble figuring out the swirling little Roundels & Crosses around the edges of my cockpit...( this may be solved when I get the manuel in the American issue today - those poor Brits really haven't a clue unless they have the old Rowan version of this game...)Maps too are a bit crude too. After playing Il-2 FB all this time getting used to the new format, for me is a bit...er...challenging...never mind trying to figure out campaign play ( again Manuel may help) remember I've had it for only 3/4 of a day & haven't gotten past "FlyNow..." settings,& haven't figured out how to best use rt chatter& other primary functions of this game.
    The look of the planes is pretty good , but to my eye its all over a bit dark even for a sunny day...nothing really says bright lighting on the surfaces of the aircraft, or on the ground ( that, however may be a blessing..)
    Track IR3 pro works just great with the game & the vector addition is truly wonderful in getting to lean out & around the aircraft- its a maervelous addition to the immersion factor!AND all the cockpits open ...but don't try it with 109s & 110s in the air, cause they'lly be gone , partner!!!
    Sound as said elsewhere is outstanding...really great addition to game play...I like the difference between cockpit open& cockpit closed on the appropriate planes..Engine sounds are sweet!
    I'd have to say if only Oleg would do this to the Il-2 series he'd have a far better game himself...but all of us will have to wait a year or two to find out what hisversion of BoB will be...perhaps the additions to this game ( if there will be any....) will make it a stronger piece of competion to UBI's efforts...
    For now I thinnk I'll be flying more of Oleg's creation & keep BoB 2 in reserve until the patches come out that make this a as good asim all the way round as FB/PF...besides very soon we'll have new a/c like the Mosquito & Ju-88 to play around with...tooo cool!!!
    For now good luck chums

File under Bizarre: I got my copy of the game yesterday....from England!I had ordered this months ago ( I thought form Shockwave , but actually from GMX...) I don't think I ever received a confirmation , so when it didn't come out last Spring , I forgot about it & reordered from Shockwave about 3 weeks ago....Yesterday in arrived "by Post." I will probably get the other "Big Box" copy today...Quie a slim package I must say , but installed smoothly enough & the openig screens & game format are quite attractive...althiough missions take froever to load( you think Il-2 Forgotten Battles take a while...just wait & I mean that!)Go figure....
    As to a review of game ...well, Shockwave over at Airwarfare has said it better than I could - here's the end of that review posted last week:
    "The graphics. Well, imho, FB is still king. the cockpits are nice, but no better than FB. Clouds and aircraft detail is very good. Ground detail is pretty bad . It appears FS2004 detail. You will find yourself missing the clarity of FBs ground at low height. But you do get 3D buildings and moving vehicles.

BOBwov needs a patch. It has some issues with CTDs (although I have mercifully suffered only one in 2 days of play), getting some joystick functions to stick (such as hat) and perhaps optimising the engine a little. Some complain of a `slowness` to the sim in some areas.

BoBwov is a game that really has great potential, but it might prove off-putting to new users if they try full-real settings. Try easier settings and work up unless you're a vet. I think the BOBwov real promise is in getting stuck in there and bringing out the delicious centre! lol. Just remember, I've only been on it like a day and a half.... Oh, yea, and you must try blackouts, it's very good."

It does need a patch or two to deal with slow FPS in large dogfights, CTD's,and the ground graphics are pretty mundane compared with IL-2..weak even.Planes seem to handle well enough on veteran or novice settings,but I am used to HUD settings on Il-2 ( I know , I'm a baby) & have trouble figuring out the swirling little Roundels & Crosses around the edges of my cockpit...( this may be solved when I get the manuel in the American issue today - those poor Brits really haven't a clue unless they have the old Rowan version of this game...)Maps too are a bit crude too. After playing Il-2 FB all this time getting used to the new format, for me is a bit...er...challenging...never mind trying to figure out campaign play ( again Manuel may help) remember I've had it for only 3/4 of a day & haven't gotten past "FlyNow..." settings,& haven't figured out how to best use rt chatter& other primary functions of this game.
    The look of the planes is pretty good , but to my eye its all over a bit dark even for a sunny day...nothing really says bright lighting on the surfaces of the aircraft, or on the ground ( that, however may be a blessing..)
    Track IR3 pro works just great with the game & the vector addition is truly wonderful in getting to lean out & around the aircraft- its a maervelous addition to the immersion factor!AND all the cockpits open ...but don't try it with 109s & 110s in the air, cause they'lly be gone , partner!!!
    Sound as said elsewhere is outstanding...really great addition to game play...I like the difference between cockpit open& cockpit closed on the appropriate planes..Engine sounds are sweet!
    I'd have to say if only Oleg would do this to the Il-2 series he'd have a far better game himself...but all of us will have to wait a year or two to find out what hisversion of BoB will be...perhaps the additions to this game ( if there will be any....) will make it a stronger piece of competion to UBI's efforts...
    For now I thinnk I'll be flying more of Oleg's creation & keep BoB 2 in reserve until the patches come out that make this a as good asim all the way round as FB/PF...besides very soon we'll have new a/c like the Mosquito & Ju-88 to play around with...tooo cool!!!
    For now good luck chums

James,

Thanks for taking the time to give your honest opinion of this game. I have followed it awhile with interest. Am awaiting more US reviews as I know GMX screwed it up for the Brits with their copy protection.

Neal

I live in Sweden and have pre orderd it.First it said to be at 26/8,later changed to 05/09,then changed to 09/09.Now it says nothing.I guess they wait for the patched version or something.

Interesting, thanks for the info. Im kinda expecting some better engine sounds for Olegs bob myself, as i the sound of a merlin is just mandatory for a plane equipped wiht them.

LEXX_Luthor's Avatar Senior Member
    Ah ya. Oleg is creating a brand *new* WW2 sim from scratch. BoB2 is only an upgrade of an old WW2 flight sim...but...BoB2 is the first tiny step toward recovery since Microsoft crushed western WW2 flight sim developers out of existence, so BoB2 is of huge importance.

Thanks for the review. I'm leaning towards putting WoV in the "Don't Bother" file.

Thanks Jim....I was thinking about buying it, but will hold off until I hear about thepatches.