I have asked this before, but can't find the post anymore.
    I think most of you have this "problem". When you turn up the Anti Aliasing the plane looks a lot better, but the shorelines do not.
    I've got a x1950pro with the catalyst 6.9(tried 7.1: no diff) drivers for the x1950pro.
    I run the game at 1280*1024 and it really looks great with high fps(mostly 75).
    AA*6 with temporal AA enebled
    no AF(will sharpen the land textures making it look worse)
    Mipmap detail to quality
    Vertical refresh on
    Adaptive AA to quality

Before the x1950 i had a 6800le. I know that setting AA to 8 will solve the problem. But the ATI card can not do that and fps will be to low anyway. Is the anyone with a sollution?
    The funny thing is, the AA is doign what it's supposed to do when you bank the plane. The shore lines look mutch better.

I have asked this before, but can't find the post anymore.
    I think most of you have this "problem". When you turn up the Anti Aliasing the plane looks a lot better, but the shorelines do not.
    I've got a x1950pro with the catalyst 6.9(tried 7.1: no diff) drivers for the x1950pro.
    I run the game at 1280*1024 and it really looks great with high fps(mostly 75).
    AA*6 with temporal AA enebled
    no AF(will sharpen the land textures making it look worse)
    Mipmap detail to quality
    Vertical refresh on
    Adaptive AA to quality

Before the x1950 i had a 6800le. I know that setting AA to 8 will solve the problem. But the ATI card can not do that and fps will be to low anyway. Is the anyone with a sollution?
    The funny thing is, the AA is doign what it's supposed to do when you bank the plane. The shore lines look mutch better.

Am i the only one with a ATI card that has this problem?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FA_Whisky:
    Am i the only one with a ATI card that has this problem? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No - I have the same problem but don't have a solution, and I've tried everything. Maybe Coastie can give us some insight?

RocketDog's Avatar Banned
    AFAIK, it doesn't matter what card or drivers you use. It's caused by the breaking wave animations on the beaches. The only solution is to use higher resolutions (it's much reduced at 1600 x 1200, for instance) or to use hazy or worse weather which masks it in the distance.

Given that clear weather seems to give he same viewing distance as one might find on the Moon this is not necessarily a bad idea.

Cheers,

RD.

Sadly, I must be going blind, cause I don't see anything wrong!

Can you post a screen shot Pepper?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Can you post a screen shot Pepper? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure thing. Here are five similar shots.

What am I supposed to see along the shoreline. Really I must be going blind but I don't see it so far. Sorry

WWSensei's Avatar Senior Member
    Waldo, you don't fly with AA on do you? Doesn't look it from your pics in which case, no you wouldn't see anything strange about the shoreline. The problem is the shorelines are jaggy and not smooth like other straight lines are when you use anti-aliasing.

I think "transparency anti-aliasing" on the newer nVidia cards might take care of that, but you're out of luck with ATi. The problem is probably the alpha channel on the wave-breaking textures, as RocketDog said.

Actually, forcing a filtered anti-aliasing mode in the drivers will probably take care of it. With nVidia cards you could use Quincunx or the unsupported 4x 9-Tap (Use Rivatuner) to get rid of the shoreline jaggies, but everything will be pretty blurry. One of the supersampled modes (4xS, 8xS, 2x2 SS, etc.) might help, too, but they'll kill performance.

I don't know if any legacy FSAA patterns are hiding in the ATi drivers, however. I think nVidia is alone in that.

Hmm... from looking at the screenshots again, it looks like ATi's 6x sampling pattern just sucks at horizontal lines. There's not much you can do about that, but I have a hunch that 4x might do better with shorelines.