So I finally have realized that I need to start using the slider and wheels on my X52 Pro. Anyone have any recommendations for the easiest manner of getting them to be usable in the game?

So I finally have realized that I need to start using the slider and wheels on my X52 Pro. Anyone have any recommendations for the easiest manner of getting them to be usable in the game?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PanzerAce:
    So I finally have realized that I need to start using the slider and wheels on my X52 Pro. Anyone have any recommendations for the easiest manner of getting them to be usable in the game? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Go to the controls section in the game, go down to the bottom for HOTAS controls, and select the control you want to assign (for instance, Rudder trim), move the control you want to assign it to (like the small rotary) and it's done. I have Rudder trim on the small rotary, elevator trim on the large one, and prop pitch on the slider, all done this way. I programmed all the other buttons through the Saitek software.

BTW, I posted my X52 profile and the settings.ini file for my IL-2 pilot on mission4today:

X52 Profile

You can use this to get started if you wish. Following the instructions and you'll be all set.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by crucislancer:
    Go to the controls section in the game, go down to the bottom for HOTAS controls, and select the control you want to assign (for instance, Rudder trim), move the control you want to assign it to (like the small rotary) and it's done. I have Rudder trim on the small rotary, elevator trim on the large one, and prop pitch on the slider, all done this way. I programmed all the other buttons through the Saitek software. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Spot on. I'll add to this:
    1. The direction of the mapped motion matters, so if it seems it's backwards it probably is.
    2. You'll soon discover that the default setting for rotary controlled trim is way too touchy. You'll need to flatten the control curves for these trim inputs for them to be really useful. IL-2 JoyControl works nicely to set these control curves to where the need to be. Enjoy!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by crucislancer:
    Go to the controls section in the game, go down to the bottom for HOTAS controls, and select the control you want to assign (for instance, Rudder trim), move the control you want to assign it to (like the small rotary) and it's done. I have Rudder trim on the small rotary, elevator trim on the large one, and prop pitch on the slider, all done this way. I programmed all the other buttons through the Saitek software. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wierd. I tried that first, and it didn't work....maybe I shouldn't drink and map keys at the same time

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PanzerAce:
    Go to the controls section in the game, go down to the bottom for HOTAS controls, and select the control you want to assign (for instance, Rudder trim), move the control you want to assign it to (like the small rotary) and it's done. I have Rudder trim on the small rotary, elevator trim on the large one, and prop pitch on the slider, all done this way. I programmed all the other buttons through the Saitek software. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wierd. I tried that first, and it didn't work....maybe I shouldn't drink and map keys at the same time </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Make sure you are assigning under the HOTAS section. As familyman says, it's real twitchy so use il2 joycontrol or il2sticks to set the sensitivity curves.