ytareh's Avatar Senior Member
    I got the 'sweet deal' pc I posted about yesterday.Nice Coolermaster tower with 6300/7950GX2 2 Gig Crucial Ltd Ed RAM (800MHz) ,Tagan 580W and the Achilles Heel an ECS 965 T-A motherboard....
    Surprisingly it also came with a denuine copy of Vista Ultimate 32 bit with disc and serial number.This lot cost me 400 euro (GB£ 275-US$550)
    Id bought a motherboard from the private seller before from a kind of local Ebay site...He assured me that if I installed the Vista and NVidia driver I would be good to go.It was clear however that he had done some 'pruning' of the pc before he sold me it .I knew he was taking his Raptor hard drive but a dvd player too!
    Even if the Vista wasnt on a DVD I was never gonna plug n play the system after installation as there was no cable connecting the cd player to the motherboard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The Vista isnt quite the hideous monster I was expecting.It sure is 'purdy' to look at.But in no way whatsoever is this setup an improvement on my old skt 939 Opteron at 3.0GHz with ONE gig of OCZs finest RAM.And yes the image quality on the X1900XT is FAR superior.Black Death track ,Everest memory and most tellingly SuperPi benchmarks are all inferior......
    I assumed that a bottom of the range Core2Duo system would comfortably beat a top of the range 939 one.Wrong I guess -at least with the further of Vista vs XP factored in .

So do I sell the whole lot or buy a new motherboard.I had an ECS before that overclocked quite well but this has no overclocking options whatsoever in BIOS.....

Advice appreciated asap!!

Originally posted by ytareh:
    I got the 'sweet deal' pc I posted about yesterday.Nice Coolermaster tower with 6300/7950GX2 2 Gig Crucial Ltd Ed RAM (800MHz) ,Tagan 580W and the Achilles Heel an ECS 965 T-A motherboard....
    Surprisingly it also came with a denuine copy of Vista Ultimate 32 bit with disc and serial number.This lot cost me 400 euro (GB£ 275-US$550)
    Id bought a motherboard from the private seller before from a kind of local Ebay site...He assured me that if I installed the Vista and NVidia driver I would be good to go.It was clear however that he had done some 'pruning' of the pc before he sold me it .I knew he was taking his Raptor hard drive but a dvd player too!
    Even if the Vista wasnt on a DVD I was never gonna plug n play the system after installation as there was no cable connecting the cd player to the motherboard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The Vista isnt quite the hideous monster I was expecting.It sure is 'purdy' to look at.But in no way whatsoever is this setup an improvement on my old skt 939 Opteron at 3.0GHz with ONE gig of OCZs finest RAM.And yes the image quality on the X1900XT is FAR superior.Black Death track ,Everest memory and most tellingly SuperPi benchmarks are all inferior......
    I assumed that a bottom of the range Core2Duo system would comfortably beat a top of the range 939 one.Wrong I guess -at least with the further of Vista vs XP factored in .

So do I sell the whole lot or buy a new motherboard.I had an ECS before that overclocked quite well but this has no overclocking options whatsoever in BIOS.....

Advice appreciated asap!!

Im by no means an pc expert but only yesterday i looked at Toms Hardware discussing the new Crysis game. EA games system specs for that game differs depending on if u use XP or Vista.

U need more pc if u run a game with Vista installed. Something like 2.8 GHz for XP while Vista require 3.4 GHz ( or something like that ) to run a game at equal speed.

As for the Core2 Duo my understanding is that if u have say 1.9 GHz Duo, that would be worse than a 2.2 GHz singel since u only use one core in the duo setup when playing a game anyways. Now if u wanna run Photoshop while playing IL2 at the same time then Core2 duo is your choise.

Might be wrong though.

My understanding is that Vista requires a lot more RAM than XP to function well, due to more background processes in operation.

Motherboard-wise, I always try to get the best that I can afford.

B

As far as mobo, I don't know what you have now so I cannot advise. As for performance, what are your bios settings, what are your ram timings? You can oc that Core 2 just a little and get that performance difference back, that the cool thing about the C2D's, while an opteron may oc to 3-3.2 and be very fast but even the 6300 should be able to hit 3.0-3.6 and smoke that opty.

ytareh's Avatar Senior Member
    Hi Urufu,motherboard is ECS 965 T-A a dog of an overclocker...it just wont!

ploughman's Avatar Senior Member
    can you specifiy which chip a program uses at all? One for OS one for Il-2 sort of thing?

R_Target's Avatar Senior Member
    I went from a X2 3800+ @ 3.0Ghz to an E6600 @ 3.2Ghz and got a 15-20% FPS increase. This is with Windows XP though.

Seems to me that Vista isn`t helping anyone if you need so much Ram just to get IL2 work wheras XP will do a better job on half that!

Neither do I relish getting a new PC with 1 gig uptodate expensive Ram then having to fork out twice as much for more ram because Vista`s making IL2 performance worse!

Seems to me, it`s either pay £800-£1000 for everything then you`ll be fine, but try and do it in affordable parts (like I do) and you won`t get any better performance in IL2 than with the old 3 year old XP Pc for years.

Went from FX53 (2.7ghz) to 6850 (3.6ghz).... Night and day... probably 100% boost on low frames easy, if not more. Lets put it this way.. i can fly over Berlin and Kiev with no problems , same video card. Use to be like 10-12 fps...now 40s on higher video settings too. WinXP64.

Bearcat99's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by crazyivan1970:
    Went from FX53 (2.7ghz) to 6850 (3.6ghz).... Night and day... probably 100% boost on low frames easy, if not more. Lets put it this way.. i can fly over Berlin and Kiev with no problems , same video card. Use to be like 10-12 fps...now 40s on higher video settings too. WinXP64.
    Ivan did you ever get your profiling software for the MS stick to work in XP-64?