My good buddy jensenpark invited my wife and I down for lunch at the Trenton RCAF Museum to meet an 86 year old Canadian Hurricane/ Spitfire veteran Col. Cy Yarnell. Cy is still sharp as a tack with a great sense of humour and as this thread unfolds jensenpark and I will recount some of his wartime exploits. I should mention that jensepark is involved in fund raising for the museum and the Halifax restoration. There are only two other Halifax bombers in the world. The Canadian one will be non-flyable when complete.

Cy is heavily involved in fund raising for the RCAF Museum. A group at the museum is involved in the restoration of Halifax bomber which was recovered from a fiord in Norway from a depth of over 500 feet. The ac ditch there after taking a 20mm shell in the wing. Although the crew successfully ditched only the wounded tail gunner survived when he was placed on an overturned liferaft while the others tried to swim to shore, only 250 yards away. The swimmers all perished from the extreme cold and the tail gunner was found alive next day and now lives in England.

After a entertaining lunch with Cy, he took us over to the museum where we met some of the restoration group headed by Lt. Col Bill Tytula
    Also present were a former Halifax pilot Lloyd Wright, a retired engineer, and Al Kolrush who was ground crew for a Halifax squadron. What a bunch of fine guys they were. Humorous and charming. They spent a good couple of hours with us showing us all their machinery, jigs they had built, where they got engines, how the aircraft was recovered and telling us stories about their wartime exploits. If Oleg ever wants to model a Halifax for the game, they have a wealth of books, manuals and people who were involved in flying and servicing them.

Although the area where the Halifax is being restored is out of bounds to the public and can only be seen through glass windows, we were permitted in to the secure area. The Halifax is housed in extension to the museum currently under construction. It is a massive area since it has to accomodate an aircraft whose nose stands 22 feet above the ground.

Here are some of the pictures we took.

jensenpark with his new 303's

The guy on the left is Lloyd Wright, Halifax bomber pilot. The other is Al Kolrush, ground crew

Here is Col. Cy Yarnell posing beside a Spit 1X. He flew Spit V, V111, 1X and XV1

Cy with Hurricane

This is my wife Helen and not my daughter!!!!!

This is a picture of the author blairgowrie and not his father!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh mah GAWD!!! I have just realised my wife is standing in front of a Widowmaker.

Woof603's Avatar Senior Member
    Very interesting and great pics, Blairgowrie. Did you happen to get any close ups of the CF100 in the background of pic #12?

p1ngu666's Avatar Senior Member

halifax had not 1 bomb bay
    it had 3

its good there making it for sure

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Woof603:
    Very interesting and great pics, Blairgowrie. Did you happen to get any close ups of the CF100 in the background of pic #12? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have one other pic of the CF 100 taken from a different angle. I will post it later. It was a bitterly cold day so we had to run around snapping quickly. I also have some other pics of close up views of the Halifax which seem to have disappeared. I'll post them as well.

Anyone know what the Suisse VSTOL is?

jensenpark's Avatar Senior Member
    Thanks BG...
    Your pics turned out great.
    I'll get my pics up once I get home from work.

WOLFMondo's Avatar Senior Member
    Wow! I'd love to see one of those fly.

Is that Hurricane and Spitfire both fibreglass replicas?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WOLFMondo:
    Wow! I'd love to see one of those fly.

Is that Hurricane and Spitfire both fibreglass replicas? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi WOLF,

The Hurricane is real and came from the UK. The Spit is a fibreglass replica. Knew anyone who has an original used Spitfire for sale?

http://www.yorkshireairmuseum.co.uk/...info.asp?id=11
    they are hoping to get this one in the air in the near future, (Elvington, North Yorkshire, England) this was a RCAF bomber base in WW2. its well worth a visit and they also put on an airshow (august i think), last year there was the B17 (Sally b), Lancaster (City of Lincoln) and the Halifax ( Friday the 13th) all in one place (a sight to behold).
    ~S~
    Zooly

jensenpark's Avatar Senior Member
    Col. Yarnell had a good story for you P47 drivers:

He had taken off and was climbing in his Spit 1X and sensed something behind him. Looked back and it was 'this enormous, beautiful American P47'. They wagged wings at eachother and gradually Yarnell drew away a bit. When his charger kicked in he drew away very fast and wagged his wings goodbye.
    Bit later around 27,000 the P47 literally zooms by him and waggles his wings at him while he zips away. "Nothing could catch them"

Excellent pictures - thanks guys

Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last ►►