I asked Lloyd Wright, the Halifax vet pilot if the top speed of his aircraft was somewhere in the region of 270mph.

His answer. "Maybe in a dive with a tailwind". More like 170mph".

What a classy gent he is. He works nearly every day, making parts for the Halifax.

Wonderful pictures, many thanks for sharing this blairgowrie...

The Halibag has always been a favorite of mine, probably because she is the unsung workhorse of the War! The Lancaster got all the limelight and is stuck firmly in people€s minds, when it comes to British Bombers. Don't get me wrong though, the Lancaster was a very charismatic and capable bird as her history shows. Its a great shame that more of the Halifax's (And the Stirling's) War work was also known!

I have something that I have been putting together that I will post as soon as I can€¦ It€s concerns Bomber Commands view of L.M.F. its affects.

Once again thankyou for sharing€¦

Regards

Sec.

Thank you Secundus2004. It is indeed an honour to have you post on this thread. I have always enjoyed reading your stuff.

I am learning a lot about the Halifax lately. My wife's father flew a Halifax from Nov 1944 until the end of hostilities and I am in the process of reading his log book.

On Sunday I found out that the Halibag was built to the same spec issued in 1936 as the Lancaster. They both started out as twin engine aircraft and were meant to receive a new Rolls Royce engine. The twin engined version from Avro was the Manchester but when they tried the new RR engines they were not suitable. So they went with 4 RR Merlins. It worked with the Lancaster but the Halifax had multiple crashes from under carriage failure and that's when they decided to substitute a radial engine, the Bristol Hercules.

The guys I met with joked that the Brits stuck with Lanc and shipped the Halifax off to their Commonwealth cousins. Not sure if there is any truth in that statement.

Look forward to your post on the Bomber Command views on L.M.F.

I am humbled by your praise Sir...

"My wife's father flew a Halifax from Nov 1944 until the end of hostilities and I am in the process of reading his log book."

And Envious... Very!

Love that pic Secundus!

One of the entries in his logbook states that they took a "cookie" through the starboard wing. I thought it might be a AA shell but when I asked Lloyd Wright about it, he said it was a bomb. He went on to say that this was fairly common during bomb raids. A higher flying aircraft would sometimes drop a bomb on the aircraft flying beneath it. If you were lucky, it didn't explode!

p1ngu666's Avatar Senior Member
    did he say a cookie was 4000lbs?

thats the SMALLEST, also came in 8,000 and 12,000lb size

the movie term blockbuster comes from those bombs.

and yeah canadians in particular flew halibags more, but lancs did more dangous raids...

jensenpark's Avatar Senior Member
    Few more pics€¦

shot from right below

lower nose I believe

engine cowling

self explanitory

Link trainer from the RCAF museum€¦not high tech but pretty amazing for the time€¦

as you can see, BG has a better camera than me€¦ LOL

Excellent stuff blairgowrie.
    Thanks for sharing. How fortunate for you to have met real WWII aviators. There are so few left.
    Interesting comments on the Mustang and the Sptifire: "First they built a cockpit and then the plane around it. The Spit was built from the outside in and then they cut a little hole in it so the pilot could get in."

Thanks for adding all those little bits that brought your experience to life for the rest of us.

Thanks for your kind words -HH- Beebop. Yes, it was a honour for us to meet these vets and to have their undivided attention all afternoon. And they were obviously all good friends with constant bantering back and forth. I just wish I had asked more questions or remembered more of their stories and quotes.

Our Saturday night group is really looking forward to flying with you and the other Hellhounds.

thanks for sharing all those wonderful pics Blair, very nice sir.