I've seem to have a hard time building speed in those airplanes. For example, many sources state the p40b/c has a max speed of about 340 mph, which is ofcourse in the best circomstances. But I can hardly get to 250 mph in level flight and I have to dive to even aproach the max speed. I fly with the flaps up, the radiator flaps closed and at 110% power, mostly at a altitude of 1000 to 3000 meters. Even tinkering with the prop pitch doesent really build much more speed.

berg417448's Avatar Senior Member
    Are you talking about Indicated Airspeed or True Airspeed? There is usually a big difference. The speeds that you see in game are going to be indicated airspeed while the top speeds you see for aircraft in books are almost always true airspeed.

If you change to the cockpit display that has those big "comic book" style gauges shown, it gives true airspeed in kph.

TAS calculator:
    http://www.csgnetwork.com/tasinfocalc.html

Make sure that you have your plane trimmed properly too if you want top speed.

Wild.Bill.Kelso's Avatar Member
    In the difficulties do you have Complex Engine Management on? Turn that off if you do.

Originally posted by berg417448:
    Are you talking about Indicated Airspeed or True Airspeed? There is usually a big difference. The speeds that you see in game are going to be indicated airspeed while the top speeds you see for aircraft in books are almost always true airspeed.

If you change to the cockpit display that has those big "comic book" style gauges shown, it gives true airspeed in kph.

TAS calculator:

slight correction here.

Your air speed gauge gives you (indicated) airspeed, true air speed is calculated!

Maybe you just said it wrong!

I think he was talking about Wonder Woman view, Buzz. If you have 'cockpit always on' turned off in difficulty you can actually turn off the cockpit and view the world as if your plane was invisible (thus the term Wonder Woman view). While in WW view you get 'true' airspeed and altitude gauges in kph and meters respectively.

WW view is great for practicing your gunnery or carrier landings but It's just too disorienting for me to fly with it normally. I need to see my cockpit!

berg417448's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by buzzsaw1939:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by berg417448:

TAS calculator:

slight correction here.

Your air speed gauge gives you (indicated) airspeed, true air speed is calculated!

Maybe you just said it wrong! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you don't understand what view I'm speaking of.

If you scroll through the views and come to the "Comic book" looking big gauges...they show TAS in kph. The game calculates it for you in that view.

Ah Ha!.. I never knew that!..I thought you just made a slip in your words, I stand corrected!

lowfighter's Avatar Senior Member
    As berg said, it must be the IAS-TAS difference plus maybe flying the plane not sufficiently smoothly. Trim would help making things easier.
    At sea level I looked in Hardballs viewer and the maximum TAS (should be equal to IAS but for some reason there's a small difference when comparing the speed bar (IAS) with the wonder woman (TAS) indication) is 474 Km/h or 295 mph.

If no one said already, close your radiator, raise your flaps, raise your gear and close your canopy. Also, do not attempt a speed record while on the ground.

lowfighter's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by FritzGryphon:
    If no one said already, close your radiator, raise your flaps, raise your gear and close your canopy. Also, do not attempt a speed record while on the ground.
    lol, he already mentioned these in his post