Hi everyone, I've had the original IL2 for a long time, but I just bought 1946 on Steam and am downloading it now. My only real flight simulator experience is from 5 years ago or more, flying in MSF 4 through 2004.

My brother has a Saitek X52 that he doesn't use, I just dug it up and intend to use it when I begin serious flying. First of all, the wire that connects the throttle and stick is missing, so I need to know what it is called so I can order a replacement.

I read through the Nugget's guide and look forward to getting into practicing. I know flying is a lot harder than most things... but I really enjoy it so I intend to learn if I can find the time.

Another thing I want to know is are there any teamspeak or ventrillo servers I could get on where you folks are. I don't have a working mic but it would be good to get familiar with the online aspect anyhow.

Hi everyone, I've had the original IL2 for a long time, but I just bought 1946 on Steam and am downloading it now. My only real flight simulator experience is from 5 years ago or more, flying in MSF 4 through 2004.

My brother has a Saitek X52 that he doesn't use, I just dug it up and intend to use it when I begin serious flying. First of all, the wire that connects the throttle and stick is missing, so I need to know what it is called so I can order a replacement.

I read through the Nugget's guide and look forward to getting into practicing. I know flying is a lot harder than most things... but I really enjoy it so I intend to learn if I can find the time.

Another thing I want to know is are there any teamspeak or ventrillo servers I could get on where you folks are. I don't have a working mic but it would be good to get familiar with the online aspect anyhow.

danjama's Avatar Senior Member
    Hey man download Hyperlobby and log on. Look for me "Danjama" and i'll be happy to help with anything! There are lots of TS/Vent servers but their normally owned by squads/servers.

Hyperlobby

I'm pretty sure the cable that connects the joystick to the throttle is just a basic PS/2 cable with a connector at each end. You can probably find one pretty cheap.

EDIT: I just looked for one myself and they were a bit harder to find then I figured, Newegg.com has one for about 7 bucks though. Good luck, and welcome aboard.

Zeus-cat's Avatar Senior Member
    If you read the Nugget's Guide you should have seen my training campaign mentioned - "Straight From the Farm". It is quick to play and you will learn a lot. Get it today while supplies last!

jayhall0315's Avatar Banned
    I second the Straight from the Farm training missions... good stuff and will help get you up to speed. Before you head to Hyperlobby and combat against other real humans, you may want to look at this guide:

http://files.filefront.com/New...02260;/fileinfo.html

Gives you a bit of a heads up on what to expect when you start online flying.

Cheers - Jay

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Snodrvr:
    I'm pretty sure the cable that connects the joystick to the throttle is just a basic PS/2 cable with a connector at each end. You can probably find one pretty cheap.

EDIT: I just looked for one myself and they were a bit harder to find then I figured, Newegg.com has one for about 7 bucks though. Good luck, and welcome aboard. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Try ebay it IS a ps/2

So this is what I want? I'm ready to buy it just want to be sure that that is exactly the thing.

I did some practice taking off, and then went online and started getting shot down as expected. I got four kills in about three hours of flying, but two of them were because someone crashed me from behind while I was trying to evade them.

My current joystick makes it very hard though, as the plane goes left and down by default making right turns and gaining altitude very slow. Not to mention the insane fishtailing while taking off.

DD_crash are you sure it works with a standard ps/2 cable? I know it looks exactly the same and it fits perfectly.. but have you actually tried it with a non-saitek regular ps/2 cable? I thought I heard that it might actually be different even though it looks the same.. I have an x-52.. Too bad I don't have a ps/2 cable around.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stiletto-:
    DD_crash are you sure it works with a standard ps/2 cable? I know it looks exactly the same and it fits perfectly.. but have you actually tried it with a non-saitek regular ps/2 cable? I thought I heard that it might actually be different even though it looks the same.. I have an x-52.. Too bad I don't have a ps/2 cable around. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

why would anyone build something that you can plug a standard cable into and have it NOT use a standard cable? I going to walk away now shaking my head in confusion