Many of you probably know that I am the one of the few that keep War Clouds online. There are a select few of use that have decided that we will do what ever it takes financially and time wise to keep the server up and going. But with just a few of us doing this, we are only able to manage 1 server. We just do not have the resources to put up any additional servers. So we decided to set up the server how we all like it and run it that way, which is what you see right now. In the past few months, I have seen and heard many requests for Eastern Front servers and Pacific servers. So now i am reaching out to see if people are willing to chip in and get Two servers from these Fronts up and running. Here is what i am proposing.

1. Starting two more servers, one dedicated to the Eastern front and one dedicated to the Pacific front. Run these servers with the same difficulty and icon setting that are presently being used on War Clouds. Basically, just setup two new Clones of War Clouds, but running different maps and planesets.
    2. Pretaining to the Eastern Front server. I am thinking that this server could span the years of 41-43ish? This could be decided at a later date. I am not a big Eastern Front Flyer, so basically i would like to see what those interested in helping out would like to see.
    3. Pretaining to the Pacific Front server. Till the release of PF, we would just use the Planes that are currently in ACEs. Then when PF is release, we can switch this server over to the new updated PF. It should run the FB/Aces/PF install. If this is not an option, then we can just run it as a PF install.

What do we need to make this happen? In short money. Each server will run Between 80-100$ US a month. So if we are running three server, we are looking at a max $300 investment each month. If we get enough people involved, the per month investment needed from each person won't be much. If we have 15 "member" (for a lack of better words), then we are looking at a $20 investment per month from each person. Now personally, i can think of worse things i spend $20 a month on .
    Some other things we are going to need. Some admins that are capable of remotely admining the servers. I will not have the time to take care of three servers. I can get them setup and running smoothly with no problems. But a server needs to be maintained daily. I can make the maintaince part of it very simple. So we will not need anyone with extreme Server skills. We will also need some people to help maintain a Website for the servers. Keep it up to date with all the servers infos and daily happenings.

Lastly, i would like to relay some personal thoughts i have on this. Over the years of runnign game servers, the burden ( and yes, it is a burden most of the time ) has been solely put on a few people. Many of us just do it because we can and we like to have quality servers available. But it is not just getting to expensive and time consuming for most of us to handle on our own. Back in a day, it would be no problem for some of us to get High speed connection for free. Most of us had friends in or worked in a facility where we could basically hide a server for us to use. But with the current security measures that most companies are puttin in place, this is just not possible anymore. So now we have to resort to renting dedicated lines for our servers. Some of the admins have good connections in their homes that they use, others of us rent from data centers. This is becoming more and more costly. So now what i am proposing is that the community step up and help. Let's spread this burden out among us and make it easier for everyone.

Please do not take this as a whine, complaint, or an insult in anyway. It is not intended to come across in these manners, but since we are all jsut reading text, it's easy to interject thoughts into these statements.

Thoughts? Questions? Suggestions?

S~
    SPaRX

Many of you probably know that I am the one of the few that keep War Clouds online. There are a select few of use that have decided that we will do what ever it takes financially and time wise to keep the server up and going. But with just a few of us doing this, we are only able to manage 1 server. We just do not have the resources to put up any additional servers. So we decided to set up the server how we all like it and run it that way, which is what you see right now. In the past few months, I have seen and heard many requests for Eastern Front servers and Pacific servers. So now i am reaching out to see if people are willing to chip in and get Two servers from these Fronts up and running. Here is what i am proposing.

1. Starting two more servers, one dedicated to the Eastern front and one dedicated to the Pacific front. Run these servers with the same difficulty and icon setting that are presently being used on War Clouds. Basically, just setup two new Clones of War Clouds, but running different maps and planesets.
    2. Pretaining to the Eastern Front server. I am thinking that this server could span the years of 41-43ish? This could be decided at a later date. I am not a big Eastern Front Flyer, so basically i would like to see what those interested in helping out would like to see.
    3. Pretaining to the Pacific Front server. Till the release of PF, we would just use the Planes that are currently in ACEs. Then when PF is release, we can switch this server over to the new updated PF. It should run the FB/Aces/PF install. If this is not an option, then we can just run it as a PF install.

What do we need to make this happen? In short money. Each server will run Between 80-100$ US a month. So if we are running three server, we are looking at a max $300 investment each month. If we get enough people involved, the per month investment needed from each person won't be much. If we have 15 "member" (for a lack of better words), then we are looking at a $20 investment per month from each person. Now personally, i can think of worse things i spend $20 a month on .
    Some other things we are going to need. Some admins that are capable of remotely admining the servers. I will not have the time to take care of three servers. I can get them setup and running smoothly with no problems. But a server needs to be maintained daily. I can make the maintaince part of it very simple. So we will not need anyone with extreme Server skills. We will also need some people to help maintain a Website for the servers. Keep it up to date with all the servers infos and daily happenings.

Lastly, i would like to relay some personal thoughts i have on this. Over the years of runnign game servers, the burden ( and yes, it is a burden most of the time ) has been solely put on a few people. Many of us just do it because we can and we like to have quality servers available. But it is not just getting to expensive and time consuming for most of us to handle on our own. Back in a day, it would be no problem for some of us to get High speed connection for free. Most of us had friends in or worked in a facility where we could basically hide a server for us to use. But with the current security measures that most companies are puttin in place, this is just not possible anymore. So now we have to resort to renting dedicated lines for our servers. Some of the admins have good connections in their homes that they use, others of us rent from data centers. This is becoming more and more costly. So now what i am proposing is that the community step up and help. Let's spread this burden out among us and make it easier for everyone.

Please do not take this as a whine, complaint, or an insult in anyway. It is not intended to come across in these manners, but since we are all jsut reading text, it's easy to interject thoughts into these statements.

Thoughts? Questions? Suggestions?

S~
    SPaRX

Just some more random thoughts on the issue.

I am thinking this should be handled like a non-profit organization. Every contributing member would be on a "board of trustees". Any matters concerning the servers would then be put to a vote with each "board" member casting a vote.

Another thing we could look at after we get established, we could approach companies for Sponsorship to help fun the servers.

Lastly, this is going to required a dedicated commitment for those involved. I am sure any server owner will back me up on this, running a full time server takes a lot of time.

S~

SPaRX

S! Sparx

Wouldn't it be easier just to mix in a few early plane set/eastern and pacific maps within the one server you do have instead of going out and asking for donations for two new servers. I would think it would be easier to get donations covering one server instead of three. All this because you don't want to mix in a few eastern or pacific maps? Seems like alot of work to me and you run the risk of not covering the cost of 3 servers just over a few maps/plane sets that can be easily implemented with the one server that you do have up. Nothing more then a suggestion. Thx for the server.

Did anyone see that or was it just me?

I want a eastern front server

------------------------------------------------------------

The RED GUARD (777th Gv.I.A.P)-"For The Glory Of Our Motherland"
    Lt.M.R.Maiornikov

I understand what you are saying there gates. But right now, we are running the server how we like it. I like the western front. When i get on my pc to play, i want to play basically in a setup that we have right now. I do not want to sit thru 4/5 maps of zeros, yaks, and la's. This is just my personal prefernce. This is why i am suggesting the afore mentioned. All three fronts will have a dedicated mainstay this way. If you feel like flying Russian, there will be a server that will always have Russian planes on it. Want to fly a Zero, goto the pacific server. There are many people that feel this way as well. When they want to play, they want to fly "their" plane. They do not want to have to wait for a map to finally rotate in that has "their" plane on it.

Covering the cost of three servers will not be that hard if people will step up to the plate. What is $20 bux a month. Hell, i have gone to the bar with my buddies and dropped $100 bill before the night is over. And that is just one night. If we have 15 or so people involved, this will not be over taxing on anyone. We can still keep the donation drive going and this will only make it easier for all involved. It can really be this simple.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions gates. And thanks for taking the time to read and respond.

S~

SPaRX

The only thing is that as much as people love this game they are not gonna play $240 a yr to play it when there are other servers that don't have an entrance fee. Can I afford it?.... sure but if I wanted to pay $20 a month to play a video game online then I'd go play Star Wars galaxies, planetside or evercrack. I think if you want to increase the donations to your server then offer the public some mixed theaters and planesets which attracts new people eager to see something new. I don't mind donating $20 every 3-4 months but thats about it because I do respect the work it takes for the admins to keep it running properly and making it fun.

I understand you point gates. And that is a personal decision. I do appreciate every donation that comes in as i am sure do all the others that play on the server. Its not a matter of increasing the donations gates, there is enough coming in right now to keep the current server up and running. What i am suggesting is, if people want variety in the server, then do something about it. Don't expect us (server admins) to be able to please everyone.

The mixed theaters and planesets is being done and rather well by the Greater Green guys. And i think they fill that spot well. I dont think we need another server that is in this genre. If you could poll every online DF server player, i am sure you will see that when they go online they are lookin for a specific plane to fly. There are more of these players then there are those that will fly whatever is there. We tried mixing planesets on the server a few times and the results are always the same. Full server during the WF 44 maps, swith to a pre 43 map in a different front, bam players start asking where is the Dora? Where is the P51? Where is the Spit? Well they did not fly in this era or theater. Then they leave. This is one of the reasons we stay with the current planeset. Players know, if i goto War Clouds, i can fly such and such plane.

Please do not take this as i am trying to discredit your suggestions, i am just merely expressing what i have seen in the past from experience.

Another issue with the rotating planesets is the time to make the maps/missions. Swiss and I have a pretty good system for building maps/mission quickly. And this all hinges on the fact that the planesets do not change. If this Multiple server thing takes off, then there is going to be a need for more map/mission makers. Right now, we have it down to about 1-2 hours to make a map. Before it was taking us anywhere from 3-4. This is from start to testing. And as i stated, its all in how we have the planesets.

Keep the ideas rolling man. The more input on this, the better.

S~

SPaRX

PS. Why do you not feel that IL2 is not worth 20 bux a month, but StarWars Galaxies, planetside or everquest maybe?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VFS-22_SPaRX:

PS. Why do you not feel that IL2 is not worth 20 bux a month, but StarWars Galaxies, planetside or everquest maybe?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sparx I would never play $20 a month to play ANY game. Cable modem is already $45. Thats enough for a month of gaming expenses. Plus Doom3, HL2 and Brothers in Arms are due out soon. Thats another $150 that I'm willing pay to play. Donations are one thing but monthly payments are another. See you in the not-so friendly skies S!

LeadSpitter_'s Avatar Banned
    I'd donate another 20 to have enemy labels turned off completely, map icons off and Friendly player names at the distance of the planetype.