commercial jet thing eh ..... please help....

TY

commercial jet thing eh ..... please help....

TY

Velocity.

Indicated Air Speed, really.

ooooops ....ty

how about the N in N1,N2 of jets ENG.?

Umm Number 1, Number 2, ?

Targ's Avatar Senior Member
    Bugs set...

each engines has n1 n2 rpm
    but dunno wat N means

Targ's Avatar Senior Member
    N1 is the low engine pressure compressor and N2 is the high engine compressor gauge.
    They are gauges used with the epr in an emacs seen on glass cockpits.
    Measures engine compression in and out and is dispalyed as a percentage IE 80% or 120% of engine power.
    You can set the computer to use EPR and unless the computer glitches it will control the takeoff for you. Fed ex MD-11's are all epr take offs.
    Pilot sets the epr and has his hands on his knees in case he needs to manually take control (the epr fails)and watches the N1, N2 ,EGT and FF during take off to make sure they are not to low.
    I have only jumpseated on Fed-ex planes a few time so I dont really understand exactly how auto thrust airplanes work (just a basic understanding) as most of the cockpits I have flown were not built before the 70's

WTE_Galway's Avatar Senior Member
    most of the "V"s are in this list:

http://www.gps.tc.faa.gov/glossary.html

watch out for Vne

BfHeFwMe's Avatar Banned
    N1 is your fan assembly, N2 is your compression section, the fan assembly is for bypass thrust with much of the air never entering the engine. Why they're called Turbo'fan's. Each fan section can be on it's own shaft in more modern engines.

Engine pressure ratio is measured forward and aft of the N2 section, that being one of the measures of the power being produced. The other is EGT, exhaust gas temp, a probe gives a reading right behind the hot section turbine.