My question is, since the 109 can only bnz because its turning sucks than why does the 109 lock up at high speeds since all it can really do is bnz. Why doesnt everyone just switch to the fw190? the spit turns better for the tnb and the fw190 is better for the bnz (and with more guns) so why do people even play the bf 109?

My question is, since the 109 can only bnz because its turning sucks than why does the 109 lock up at high speeds since all it can really do is bnz. Why doesnt everyone just switch to the fw190? the spit turns better for the tnb and the fw190 is better for the bnz (and with more guns) so why do people even play the bf 109?

in my experience, altough somewhat limited with bf109, it turns pretty good. Use combat flaps (altough i dont, at least not much). I have sucesfuly managed to fight spits in bf109 online and offline. And it depends of what version you are using (as far as i know F-4 is the best).
    I must point out again that this opinions come from limited use of this plane. I fly it only if need arises.

JtD's Avatar Senior Member
    It's fast and has a great rate of climb.

I'm not talking about the G-6 here, which sucks.

I always end up in a turn and burn eventually with the 109 when I fly it.Some I have more confidence in like the F2/4,G2 and G10/14 than the other models.Sometimes I win,sometimes I lose depending on the enemy fighter/pilot."If you end up T&B with a 109 you have used it wrong" someone will shout.Sure,but it can turn,from what I´ve experienced.Only my thoughts of it.

I prefer the 109 to the 190,cause I have confidence in it.The 190 I think I will never learn to like to fly,even if it looks good.

Xiolablu3's Avatar Senior Member
    I guess you must only fly late war.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Afromike1:
    My question is, since the 109 can only bnz because its turning sucks than why does the 109 lock up at high speeds since all it can really do is bnz. Why doesnt everyone just switch to the fw190? the spit turns better for the tnb and the fw190 is better for the bnz (and with more guns) so why do people even play the bf 109? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The 109 turns pretty well. You just have to know how to get the best out of it.

Want to out-turn just about anything in the 109?

Use a "spiral tight turn climb" for evasion. It leaves just about everything in the dust.

You really have to get the slats "notched in" and the rudder full opposite direction and just right to do it though.

Many many many times I have out climbed pairs of spits and P-51's using this trick. I hang right on the slats in a very tight spiral at full power. I say "notched in" because in the 109 you will literally feel the plane "notch in" when done right.

The plane will get to it's apparent max alieron spiral turn rate and just then you apply full opposite rudder and the whole plane will feel like it gets in a "notch" almost like you shifted the whole plane into third second gear!

I have used this manauver in every flight sim known to man in 109's of every make and model and it always works.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Xiolablu3:
    I guess you must only fly late war. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

actually I mainly fly the g2.

But what I'm hearing is that, okay... it can tnb and bnz just not so well. So why not just stick with a plane that can do really well in one of those areas? IMO I find the 109 sorta the "middle man" between really great tnb planes and bnz planes.

I also took a look at the skies-of-fire stats and I found out that the 109f got the second highest k/d ratio! how is that possible? even though it was flown less times, it was still flown 22 more times than the la-7 (with a k/d ratio of 1.41).

Middle isn't always a bad thing that's why..

ImMoreBetter's Avatar Senior Member
    The Bf-109F is arguably the best aircraft for it's period in the war.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... Last ►►