It brings home just how tricky it is/was to fly the Sopwith...

Credit is due to the pilots for this film.

Enjoy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtprTL66-FY

It brings home just how tricky it is/was to fly the Sopwith...

Credit is due to the pilots for this film.

Enjoy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtprTL66-FY

berg417448's Avatar Senior Member
    Good Stuff!

The overhead view was interesting. I can see why they eliminated the red color from the center of the roundel in the Pacific...that red really stands out and could be mistaken for Japanese markings at a quick glance.

ploughman's Avatar Senior Member
    Not to mention the elliptical wings, there were some blue on blues undoubtably as a result of mis-identifications of Seafires based on their wing geometry.

Hilariously enough, standing orders in the BTO and PTO were, if it's got red it's dead. FM Slim recounts how he had his stomach in his mouth when he saw the plane transporting his new boss, Mountbatten, had red centres to its roundels when it arrived in the BTO meaning would've been legitimately shot down by any roving fighter in-theatre, Allied or otherwise!

But. Thanks Archie, that was fascinating. I had no idea Camels were so tricky to operate, 'the throttle's part of the ignition system?' Eh?! It doesn't recycle oil! Looks like Wanaka's got a great airshow going, I've never seen a Camel in the sky and I've been to some good ones!

Well by all accounts it was the same for all who flew the early radials, the gyroscopic forces were the same for friends or foe alike. Apparently it was a common way for New pilots to die... Nasty

you mean rotaries?

Cool Thanks!

That design killed as many pilots as the Germans. Amazing folks still fly them....

Cajun76's Avatar Senior Member
    As you can see, it was impossible to recover the oil.

Treetop64's Avatar Senior Member
    How fascinating!

Camels didn't have a throttle, but a selectable mag instead! Those guys flew some contraptions in those days.

p1ngu666's Avatar Senior Member
    amazing some guys went to war in those things with 11hours, or less. total flying time..

amazing how much oil it chucks out too