Why didnt the Nazi's think to simply integrate an UZO into the deck gun????

That way you could take range readings while firing rounds - BEAUTIFUL!

Man...maybe those SOBs would have done a bit better in the war effort if I had been in charge of R&D

Man...maybe those SOBs would have done a bit better in the war effort if I had been in charge of R&D

Think maybe the uzo wasnt actually a laser range finder and didnt really tell you the range like in game?

Ummm, yeah I wish you were calling the shots in WW2. Would have been a lot shorter war when Germany's soldiers couldn't fire their rifles at the enemy because their laser rangefinders weren't linked properly to their weapons!

COme on dude! Range finding was pretty much an estimation game, for either sight being used. Furthmore, if the UZO did incorporate a Stadimeter in reality, (not sure if it did or not) then the officer in the Bridge would be calling out ranges to the gun crew for initial shots. Once rounds are on the target, it is up to the gunners to keep them there. An inch by inch range update in not necessary.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pbohart:
    Man...maybe those SOBs would have done a bit better in the war effort if I had been in charge of R&D </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it's safe to say that the Germans would've done a lot better without Hitler's intervention. He helped the allies win the war.

mmm Stalingrad

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pbohart:

Man...maybe those SOBs would have done a bit better in the war effort if I had been in charge of R&D </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm, what is keeping you from doing that ? :-)

Normally an officer would order the required bearing and elevation. He would get that data from checking out the target with either his binocs/uzo/rangefinder/eyeball/etcetera.

You can do that yourself, check out initial range/bearing/whatever you need and then go to the gun and fire away.

- - - - -
    Subsim RadioRoom SHIII FAQ:
    http://www.subsim.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=28146

Just ask the watch officer for the range while you are at the gun and just adjust and fire 2 rounds.

Just ask the watch officer, adjust and fire 2 rounds.

They never fitted one as they didnt forsee crazy e-kaleuns trying to engage targets beyond 2,500m....The gun was meant to finish small targets at close range and not precision bombardment over the horizon.

Any player can hit a merchantman @2500m using guesstimation alone. I rarely use the zoomed view, I get more feedback from the 1x deck view.