Questions and Answers - Post your questions or help with the answers

If people have questions about the game (both tech and gameplay), ask them here, and I'll try to make sort of a FAQ. If I don't know the question, I'll put it in a separate section of unanswered questions so other people can help.

I know there is already a technical faq on this forum, but this will also cover the smaller, less important issues.

If people have verified a tip or trick that works, post it here, and I'll edit this first post to include them.

PS: No complaining or whining. This isn't a problems thread but a solutions thread.

---------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------
    ----
    Q: Where is the game installed?

A: In the Steam folder: "\steam\steamapps\common\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover". If you haven't changed it, Steam will be installed in "\Program Files\Steam" or "\Program Files (x86)\Steam" if you have a 64-bit operating system.
    ----

Q: Where is conf.ini?

A: In Vista at least: "your username"\Documents\1c Softclub\IL-2 Cliffs of dover\
    There is another on in the main game folder, but changing it has no effect as the game checks your documents folder.
    EDIT: Some report that there is no conf.ini in the documents folder and that editing the conf.ini in the game folder works. (Thanks JG52Uther)
    ----

Q: What is conf.ini?

A: It is the file that tells the game what graphics options you have selected.
    ----

Q: How do I edit conf.ini?

A: You have to deactivate "Steam Cloud" in the Steam interface: Open steam, right click the game and choose properties. Then choose the "updates" tab and untick the checkbox for the steam cloud. Now, conf.ini can be edited with for example notepad.
    ----

Q: How do I set up my joystick?

A: On the Control Options screen, choose the "Axes" tab on the top of the screen. If you want to assign joystick buttons (or mouse/keyboard buttons/keys), choose the "Keys" tab.
    ----

Q: The throttle goes to maximum even if my joystick throttle is only at 10-20%

A: Go to Control Options, Select Axes tab. Select the throttle axis and look at the sliders for 0% Position and 100% Position. Set for example 0.10 for 0% throttle and 0.90 for 100% (This gives a bit of dead zone at both ends)
    ----

Q: How do I remove the chat window?

A: The chat window as well as all other information windows can be manipulated by holding down the ALT-key on the keyboard and left-clicking on the window with the mouse. When selected, you can right-click to get some fairly intuitive options, including closing the window.
    ----

Q: How do I resize an information window like that chat window or the engine information?

A: Hold ALT-key, left click on the window and click-and-drag the edges. If the edge isn't there, right-click the selected window, select "Customize". If you set "Title" and "Border" to be "Visible", you can manipulate the window just like a Windows program.
    ----

Q:How do I choose which plane group I want to be a part of a quick mission?

A:Click on the tiny picture of a pilot next to the plane picture.
    ----

Q: Living in the states, the US Release is 26th April. Does it apply to the DVD version if I order it from the UK?

A: Yes, if you buy from a UK provider, Steam will accept the key from your purchase and allow you to download and play the game.
    ----

Q: I'm having problems removing the chat box and other information windows by using ALT-left click... Is there another way?

A: Yes. You can manually edit "confUser.ini" which should be located in
    C:\Users\(Your username)\Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover\confUser.ini
    Now, delete this section:
    [ChatWindow]
    0:-1=-posSize '0.004 0.848 0.242 0.152' -titleStr "Motor Controls" -alpha 130 -ualpha 0 -wrap -history 100
    0:262144=-lay 1 -fnt 0 -clr 0
    1:-1=-posSize '0.787 0.637 0.213 0.169' -titleStr "Secondary Controls" -alpha 130 -ualpha 0 -history 10 -timeout 15
    1:5=-font 0
    1:4=-font 0
    1:7=-font 0
    2:-1=-posSize '0.510 0.004 0.490 0.323' -titleStr Voice -border -alpha 130 -ualpha 0 -wrap -history 40 -timeout 30
    2:2=-font 1
    3:-1=-posSize '0.035 0.305 0.234 0.391' -titleStr "?????????????? ????" -title -border -alpha 50 -ualpha 25 -vscroll -wrap -history 100
    4:-1=-posSize '0.023 0.031 0.234 0.391' -titleStr -history 100
    5:-1=-posSize '0.023 0.031 0.234 0.391' -titleStr -history 100
    6:-1=-posSize '0.023 0.031 0.234 0.391' -titleStr -history 100
    7:-1=-posSize '0.023 0.031 0.234 0.391' -titleStr "?????????????? ????" -title -border -alpha 50 -ualpha 25 -vscroll -wrap -history 100
    8:-1=-posSize '0.268 0.505 1.075 0.549' -titleStr NetStats -title -border -alpha 50 -ualpha 0 -custom
    8:-2=-font 3 -color 139 -columnWidth '0.100 0.183 0.322 0.144 0.093 0.081' -columnSort 2
    Always take backup of any files that you edit.
    ----

Q: Will there be a patch soon?

A: A patch is expected within the first week after release, and another within the first month.
    Check out the Roadmap: http://forums.ubi.com/eve/foru...1032709/m/6141055819
    ----

Q: Will any Windows version run this game?

A: Windows 7 64-bit or Vista 64-bit is recommended.
    CoD supports Windows 7, Vista SP2 and Windows XP SP3, but Win XP has some serious limitations like no DirectX 10 support (lower performance), and no support for large amounts of RAM (4GB is recommended for IL2:CoD)
    ----

Q: Scheisse! Ich have been shot down! How do I bail out from my burning Messerschmitt??? Quickly!!

A: Look from the internal camera (you can't bail out when using the external camera).
    First: Eject canopy (Control-J)
    Second: Bail out (Control-E)
    (Third: Don't get captured by the Engländer)
    ----

Q: How do I man a turret? I press C to cycle positions, but nothing happens!

A: Go to Realism settings and untick the box where it says: "Cannot Switch Positions"
    ----

Q: Can I download the game from Steam on one computer (that has a faster internet connection) and copy it to another computer?

A: Yes.

First of all,copy your steam folder onto the 2nd computer. Since IL-2 CloD is installed in a subfolder of steam it will copy over as well.

Now launch Steam.

Since you didn't install steam you merely copied it over, steam will take a couple minutes to add the correct files to your operating system and registry but should finish updating and be working properly shortly.

Now when you click on IL-2 Cliffs of Dover within Steam, it will also notice that not the proper install was done and quickly download any components that are needed, such as direct x files etc, in a similar manor to how steam updated. After this is done both should run just fine.
    (Taken from a discussion between Gunnergolly and Stiletto-. I hope they don't mind me adding it here)
    ----

Q: Dogfighting on Quick missions.
    I understand the clicking of the pilots to enable which group to fly in but whenever I choose the side of the allies, all my axis opponents are sporting Italian markings & I can't find a way to edit or change these settings.

A: Some missions are fought against the Italians, and whatever plane you choose for them, it will have Italian markings. Other missions are made to fight the germans (Thanks HoundstoneHawk and Jaws2002)
    ----

Q: Why doesn't the Spitfire have tracers?

A: The Spitfire loadout is historical. Some squadrons didn't use tracers to avoid alerting the enemy that they were being fired upon. The last few rounds are on some guns loaded with tracers to alert the pilot he's about to run dry (Thanks again Jaws2002 and HoundstoneHawk)
    ----

Q: Where do screenshots go? How do you view them?

A: There are two ways of taking screenshots in the game:
    The game's own way: Press the "Prt Scr" key on your keyboard. Screenshots will be saved in huge BMP-files under Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover\screenshots

The Steam way: Press F12. When you quit the game, an information box called "Screenshot manager" will appear showing all the screenshots you've taken in the last session. Click on "Show on Disk" to find where they've all been saved. These are in a much more handy .JPG format, so I prefer this way.
    ----

Q: I removed ALL the on-screen windows (chat, engine levers, voices... everything). Now I realized I want some of them back... How do I do it?

A: Right-click anywhere on the screen, select "New Info Window".
    Now a big box called "Info Window" will appear.
    Right-click the window and select "Customize: Info Window".
    If right click doesn't work, hold the ALT-key and left click the window first to select it.

In the customize settings, you can add elements from the list on the right (Items all) to the list in the midle (Items).
    For example, if you want the engine levers back, select "Engine info" and press the arrow to add it to the middle list. Next, you can customize how the Engine info should be displayed by clicking on it in the "items" list and choosing options in the "Property - Value" window to the left.
    Finally, resize and move the window using normal windows logic.
    Select "Window" in the items list to change properties for the window itself (making it transparent when Inactive (Inactive Alpha BG) or changing or removing the title and border. (Remember, when title and border is invisible, you can't move or resize the window. Reactivate them to do so)
    ----

Q:How do I change plane when flying a mission

A: First: Check Relism settins, and make sure you are allowed to "switch plane" and "Switch sides".

When you want to change the plane just cycle through the planes in outside view(Shift+F2 or Ctrl+F2) until you get to the plane you want.
    Press Alt+F1 to enter the shown plane.

PS: You can only enter planes that are flyable.
    ----

Q: There are no skins in the full mission builder. How do I find them?

A: All skins that you want available in FMB must be in /Documents/1cSoftClub/Il-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover/Skins/

Copy and paste all the skins folder from the /Steam/Steam apps/Il-2 Cliffs of Dover to Documents/1cSoftClub/Il-2 Cliffs of Dover.

Now all the skins that are already in the game are visible and usable in FMB and plane config menu.
    ----

Q: Can I change skins in quick missions?

A: No... Apparently. If anyone knows anymore about this, please put it in the thread.

-*-*-*-*-*-*- TIPS AND TRICKS -*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Manos1:
    FPS Counter. Easy way for switching on and off

If you are bored typing fps SHOW START every time:

I realised we have many new members who are not able to sing the two pages of conf.ini by heart (shame!) so you may find this of use:

In the same directory as the conf.ini (the famous MyDocuments/ etc etc...)
    Find the file RCU
    Open it with the text editor
    at the bottom add following lines of text:

@a aa fps SHOW START

@a ab fps HIDE STOP

aa

save and close

From now on, if during the game you decide to start the fps display, press Shift-TAB, type aa press enter, exit with Shift-TAB. The fps measurement will appear on your screen.
    To remove it, repeat the procedure typing ab
    Of course, if you have the Console Information Window open, you can type the command there.
    The last line aa in the RCU file spares you from all the work, with it every time you start the game you have thefps measurement displayed automaticaly (you can remove it of course if you do not want this).
    -*-*-*-*-*-

** UN-ANSWERED QUESTIONS - Please contribute **

If you know, let me know, and I'll add the answers here.

Corsairoz:
    Q: For multiplayer team play it will be important to be able to match the in game sound with that of the chat client.
    We can turn off the AI Voice and the Music (perversely from the Audio Volume Window), but how can we adjust the overall game audio volume? There is a MasterVolume =14 in conf.ini but editing that makes no difference.

A: ??? This is a big one. Not being able to control volume is frustrating.

RCAF_FB_Bozo:
    Q: Do you have to us Steam and can you host a game like we do the old IL-2 on HyperLobby for a dedicated server and DCG??and is a dedicated server coming out?

A: ???

Von_Rat's Avatar Senior Member
    Well i for one found a couple of useful tips in your post.

I am going to stickie this thread for now. Some good tips here and I hope others will add their 2 cents.

Originally posted by yngvef:

Q: Where is conf.ini?

A: In Vista at least: "your username"\Documents\1c Softclub\IL-2 Cliffs of dover\
    There is another on in the main game folder, but changing it has no effect as the game checks your documents folder.
    PS: I assume the folder is called Documents in english Windows Vista (I have the norwegian version, so I'm guessing)
    ----
    Strangely enough,my English version of the game is NOT installed in "your username"\Documents\1c Softclub\IL-2 Cliffs of dover\
    It is only in steamapps,and when I change the conf.ini in there it works!
    I do have the Russian version as well,and that is indeed installed in username\documents,as well as in steamapps!
    Go figure...

steve_v's Avatar Senior Member
    I have a question that I am hoping you may be able to answer. If this is not the place for it, I'll gladly delete at your request.

Living in the states, we have an US Release Date – 26th April. ( http://forums.ubi.com/eve/foru...1032709/m/1751069519 ) Does this date only apply to the dvd version? I'm asking because its possible to download CoD (from an UK provider), but I don't know when it will be activated via Steam.

Any assistance will be appreciated.

Steve_v

If you buy it now, from a UK provider Steam will accept the key from your purchase and allow you to download the game, and play it.

If you get a friend in the UK to allow you to remote desktop, you can even fool UBI into thinking your in the UK via your friends IP, and get the key from them too.

I went old school tweak on the chat box,and more.

Just so you know you I figured out that in your
    confUser.ini

C:\Users\TOAD\Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover\confUser.ini

You can Delete this section below, obviously back up the original first.

[ChatWindow]
    0:-1=-posSize '0.004 0.848 0.242 0.152' -titleStr "Motor Controls" -alpha 130 -ualpha 0 -wrap -history 100
    0:262144=-lay 1 -fnt 0 -clr 0
    1:-1=-posSize '0.787 0.637 0.213 0.169' -titleStr "Secondary Controls" -alpha 130 -ualpha 0 -history 10 -timeout 15
    1:5=-font 0
    1:4=-font 0
    1:7=-font 0
    2:-1=-posSize '0.510 0.004 0.490 0.323' -titleStr Voice -border -alpha 130 -ualpha 0 -wrap -history 40 -timeout 30
    2:2=-font 1
    3:-1=-posSize '0.035 0.305 0.234 0.391' -titleStr "?????????????? ????" -title -border -alpha 50 -ualpha 25 -vscroll -wrap -history 100
    4:-1=-posSize '0.023 0.031 0.234 0.391' -titleStr -history 100
    5:-1=-posSize '0.023 0.031 0.234 0.391' -titleStr -history 100
    6:-1=-posSize '0.023 0.031 0.234 0.391' -titleStr -history 100
    7:-1=-posSize '0.023 0.031 0.234 0.391' -titleStr "?????????????? ????" -title -border -alpha 50 -ualpha 25 -vscroll -wrap -history 100
    8:-1=-posSize '0.268 0.505 1.075 0.549' -titleStr NetStats -title -border -alpha 50 -ualpha 0 -custom
    8:-2=-font 3 -color 139 -columnWidth '0.100 0.183 0.322 0.144 0.093 0.081' -columnSort 2
    And then have clean screen shots, no clutter while flying.
    If there is a clickable way while flying, I haven't found it.
    there is in Tracks though.

steve_v's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by T_O_A_D:
    Steve_v

If you buy it now, from a UK provider Steam will accept the key from your purchase and allow you to download the game, and play it.

Many thanks T_O_A_D. I've been looking at Just Flight and chomping at the bit, but been reluctant to pull the trigger not knowing the details of activation. Next week we're going on down time at work and that leaves me time to mess about with Cliffs.

Great thread. Picking up some good tips. I have 2 questions.
    Dogfighting on Quick missions.
    I understand the clicking of the pilots to enable which group to fly in but whenever I choose the side of the allies, all my axis opponents are sporting Italian markings & I can't find a way to edit or change these settings.

My 2nd question is that of a complete lack of tracers in the spits (in cockpit view). Hurri's have the tracers but none in the spits? Is this a shortcoming of the game or perhaps something I'm missing.

Thanks.

Some good stuff here thanks.

i got a query. If you go in to plane loadout to set up fuel convergence etc, it does not seem to carry over to when you are in a game. Anyone know the actual process of how to set/personalise your ride for a mission?

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... Last ►►