F19_Ob's Avatar Senior Member
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by robban75:
    Has anyone ever managed to reach these speeds in the Fw 190A-4 in-game? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have'nt tested that...but
    Have u tried to reach peak performance specs in the other planes in the game, on all sides?

Remember that optimal factorycondition specs is very different from actual combat performance during combat conditions in the field.
    The optimums were never reached on any side and it was normal to draw from the calculation of performance by default.
    Many pilots have commented about this when asked to explain specs about their planes in interviews.

Regarding the quote u included.
    If one for example looks at russian aces or other aces accounts and feelings they may have similar experiences about their opponents.
    How many of those opponents were rookies or aces? How many of the planes were battleworn.
    Had it an new or worn engine?
    This is only a few questions but it illustrates variables(components) wich are very difficult to calculate but absolutely nescessary if one wants to determine an absolute performance relation between different planes.
    One also must have complete understanding how the battle went and who was on the disadvantage and how it developed.

How good a plane was has often been described by how many kills as a whole it achieved.
    So a shot down passanger or cargo plane or bomber or inferior fighter was also counted, but that ofcourse dont say anything about the performance.

An example;
    Late in the europe war the allied planes outnumbered the axis and it had been the other way around earlier.
    How many of the kills in this situation happened because one side was outnumbered? how many of these planes were taking off or landing?
    Based on such statistics planes got reputation.
    But if one looks on pilots own descriptions on all sides it becomes complicated because its so many different experiences and stories even from the same side.

Forgive me Robban .... its not ment as critisism, just illustration of complication. I just enjoy to complicate subjects....kind of a hobby really.

You can kick butt in Early War servers if you fly the A4 correctly

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by robban75:
    Has anyone ever managed to reach these speeds in the Fw 190A-4 in-game? http://pages.sbcglobal.net/mdegnan/_images/A4speed.jpg <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeap.. You can reach very close to red line speed if you have 1/2 or less fuel and use manual pitch, closed rads,60 taps down trimm. But the engine will be ruined.. You dont even need to get the overheat message (you must run in that power setting for more than the 1 min limit of 2700rpm). When you thortle back you will hava a damaged engine that will not reach 2400 rpm anymore.

But you can reach quite safely 550 kph without permanent damage to engine. Also using manual prop.

I would say the early FW would be PERFECT if they could remove cannons and not receive the bomb rack..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by clint-ruin:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by OldMan____:
    Spit 5 has no big chance against anton 4 and 5 in this game. Excluding of course the ultra discrepancy between MG151 and hispanos.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This actually ends up being less of a problem for the A4 and A5 than it is on something like the 109 series where you only have one cannon, or even the A6/A8. The MGFF spit out 1/4 AP, the MG151/20 spit out 1/5AP. Firing both off together gives you a decent chance at ruining the engine of the spit if even a single AP connects, from memory you need around 2-3 HE shells to have the same effect on the engine of most inline engine planes. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I usually do no load the MG FF with me They have a much weird arc of fire and not enough ammo to justify all the weight. The bomb rack increases drag at high speed.. but the smaller weight usually compensates in climb.. but of course.. it would be more CORRECT and better if I could fly without outer guns and without bomb rack.

Tvrdi's Avatar Banned
    bomb rack is one the bigger jokes in the game (like gunsight dropping was)....but every good cake has a little **** in the middle it seams hehe

jurinko's Avatar Senior Member
    when the 190 landed in Pembrey in June 1942, the preludium was like that:

Fws were pursuing RAF planes over the Channel and then just one Fw was reported, so 4 MkVBs took off to intercept it. Two crashed during take-off, one returned due to engine problems and the remaining one was quickly dispatched by Fw. Then Faber laned at RAF base etc.

Did you notice that Fw, as generally superb plane, quickly dispatched inferior MkVB? Here, without massive advantage in alt, speed, numbers or surprise, Fw can not start fight except one head-on.

If you fly it in a manner that even Hartmann shot dow 1-3 planes per whole day, you can do very good in it. If enemies are slower than you, lone wolf tactics is still acceptable, but if adversaries are as fast as you, you need some Fws around you and TS is recommended.

Jaws2002's Avatar Senior Member
    Spitfire MK V is turkey vs FW190-A4 or A5.
    Be sure.

Jaws2002's Avatar Senior Member
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by OldMan____:
    I usually do no load the MG FF with me They have a much weird arc of fire and not enough ammo to justify all the weight. The bomb rack increases drag at high speed.. but the smaller weight usually compensates in climb.. but of course.. it would be more CORRECT and better if I could fly without outer guns and without bomb rack. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The MG/FF is the best weapon the A4/A5 has. If you hit with the FF you can be sure you did damage, unlike the MG151/20.

***Just my opinion after looking at the subject for a while.***

I don't think we have a channel front Fw190A4 in the sim. The A4 we have behaves much more like a early F2 or other Jabo modified version used on the Ostfront. Spitfire fans try to refute the RAF's Farnborough tests of the A3 and explain away the dominance of the Fw190 over the Channel in '42 as a "tactical advantage" situation. All attempts to revise history and make their favorite plane look better. The Fw190 probably had a climb advantage over the Vb throughout a greater speed range than in PF. The 190 was more maneuverable than the version we have, and faster as well. Read the works af RAF Captain Eric Brown for a detailed description of the Fw190s dogfighting abiilities.

Numbers from factory tests done in different countries under different conditions would not be as relavent as side-by-side comparison with two planes. With the 190, we have the RAF's tests of serveral 190s and the USN tests of the A5. All of those tests revealed the 190 as having strong climb ability down to 280kph. The historical roll rate of the 190 was far superior to its adversaries, much more so than in PF. And then there is the Mg151 issue...

Even with all those questions of performance the Fw190A4 can dominate the Spit Vb in PF. Oleg himself clearly outlined the method of using high speed to climb away from the SpitVb. When flying the 190, you have to concern yourself more with remaining safe and less with engaging the enemy. Only engage when in a favorable position.

p1ngu666's Avatar Senior Member
    well the spit vb we have ingame is slower than raf ones, by 40 kph at sl, and 20kph at high alt.

a4 is the derated version? robban u might have a upgraded a4 from later or something i dunno, or it could be too slow :\

vb (no lf) is perhaps better at high alt, never a 190 area (mid/low) vs LF vb's take the fight up high, they lose speed past 3k...

to use roll advantage, roll right, watch spit roll to follow u, then slam it back to the left and do a break turn, (thats how they did it irl, more or less). oh and u need todo that at high speed