Hi all

I have try to find some informations about BK 3.7 and I find complete Rechlin's test for LW bordwaffen [heer is http://rapidshare.com/files/22379574/_aviation__Luftwaf...36-1945__german_.pdf ]and I think, BK 3.7 canon could penetrate side or turret armor of T-34, because BK 3.7 could penetrate abot 110-130mm armor (100kg/mm*2 tenacity)and acording to De Mare's figure BK 3.7 can penetrate about 71mm amrmor with 180kg/mm*2 tenacity(same armor as has T-34) from 200m distance . T-34 has 45mm thick armor.

p.s sory for my bad english

Distance and angle is very important, too.

If you 87 flys in in a shallow angle it takes some of the sloped armor effect off the T-34 but not all. 45mm of t-34 turret armor is maybe 60something (or even more, just a rough guess) mm armor horizontal equivalent)
    If 200m penetration is 71mm at 0 degrees, then yes,maybe it just could penetrate. But at 300 probalby no more.
    (All rough guesses here to show how much it is on the edge.)

Mr. Rudel recommended attacking from rear anyway (but then on T-34 that does not make much different as HULL armor is the same all around).

But where is the problem, not possible to kill T-34? I think I was always able to do so with Ju87G?

Originally posted by stukapilot87:
    Hi all

I have try to find some informations about BK 3.7 and I find complete Rechlin's test for LW bordwaffen [heer is http://rapidshare.com/files/22379574/_aviation__Luftwaf...36-1945__german_.pdf ]and I think, BK 3.7 canon could penetrate side or turret armor of T-34, because BK 3.7 could penetrate abot 110-130mm armor (100kg/mm*2 tenacity)and acording to De Mare's figure BK 3.7 can penetrate about 71mm amrmor with 180kg/mm*2 tenacity(same armor as has T-34) from 200m distance . T-34 has 45mm thick armor.

p.s sory for my bad english
    Thank you for posting!
    Very intresting data!

joeap's Avatar Senior Member
    But where is the problem, not possible to kill T-34? I think I was always able to do so with Ju87G?
    I agree, what was the point of this thread??

Hull top and turret roof armour was considerably thinner. If hit from above with 37mm, you could penetrate.

Why bother with the 37mm?? when 12.7mm(=.50) is plenty? all you gotta do is bounce the rounds off the road and you got dead T-34s

Plus you got LOADS of 12.7mm ammo in the 190 and 109, think of how many T-34s you could knock out with that load!

edited to rectify error

tigertalon's Avatar Senior Member
    It's 12.7mm not 13.7. Germans used 13mm (13.0), not 12.7mm. The round was 13x64B which is considerably weaker that either american 12,7x99 .50 cal or russian 12,7x108 UB ammo. So one could only bounce them to destroy early T34s, not late ones or KV1s I reckon.

Originally posted by joeap:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
    I agree, what was the point of this thread?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

nowadays in il2game, you can destroy T-34 by hit only in rack over engine of T-34, in real, BK 3.7 can destroy T-34 by hit to side armor or turet side armor, of course you needs hit some vurneable thigs like ammunitin,engine or fuel system

T-34/76 Turret armour:

Front: 40-52 mm, plus gun mantlet
    Sides: 52 mm @ 30 degrees = ~60 mm
    Rear: 52 mm @ 30 degrees = ~60 mm
    Top: 20-25 mm

Hull Armour:

Front: 45mm @ 50 degrees = ~70 mm
    Sides: 40mm @ 40 degrees = ~53 mm
    Rear: 52mm @ 48 degrees = ~67 mm

T-34/85

Turret:

Front: 90mm + gun mantlet
    Sides: 75mm @ 20 degrees = ~81 mm
    Rear: 52 @ 15 degrees = ~55 mm

Hull as T-34/76

So, depending on your range, a reasonably tough nut to crack, with the thinnest point being the hull sides.

Must give it a go when I get home, and see what I can kill.

Ok, I've done some quick initial tests against the T-34/76 in the Full Mission Builder with Acrade Mode on, so i could see my shot placement.

I tried the Ju-87G-1 from a range of angles and found out you can reliably kill the T-34/76 with the BK 3.7.

It is effective against the both the turret and hull sides and rear, but it is very difficult to kill from the front, especially against the front hull.

General impression, after about 80 runs, is that it usually takes three solid hits (hull or turret centre) to guarentee a kill on a T-34. Typically I required two hits to kill a tank, but some survived four hits and one survived five.

Hull hits kill more reliably than turret hits.

Angle seems to be very important in making a kill.

When running in directly facing a tank (ie direct flank, front or rear shot) it usually took 2-3 salvos to guarantee a kill. So I usually had about 4-6 kills per run (allowing for misses ect it probably drops to 3-5 per run)

When running in at a 45 degree angle it usually took 3-5 salvos to gaurentee kill, so i had about 2-4 kills.

Kills are harder to achieve at shallow dive angles 10-15 degrees and also at high dive angles (greater than about 40 degrees).

My tips for killing T-34s with Stukas:

1. Approach perpendicular (at a 90 degree angle) to the sides or rear of the tank.

2. Approach dive should be about 20-30 degrees

3. Aim for the top of the turret, as my initial shots often seemed to hit the road wheels

4. Set convergence to about 275m. I found I was often firing very late, and this setting gives you a relatively good chance of hitting the target over the 450m-100m range.

5. Be prepared to first 2-3 salvos at least at each target to ensure a kill.

6. Dont be suprised if you miss a lot (on my first 10 runs I averaged 1 - 2 kills with about 25% accuracy)