I'm sure that in the war, pilots did have trouble immediately recognising the planes around them, but I'm having a much harder time, for a few reasons:
    1) My 19" screen takes up a very small percentage of my overall vision, so a plane at 200 metres on my screen, appears a lot smaller than it would in real life.
    2) Although graphics have kept improving, they are obviously not as clear as real life.
    3) I have no idea what my radio is saying - when 7 says get him off my tale, I have no idea if they're talking about me, or to me (this bit I assume improves as you get a better understanding of the game).

When there's a lot of planes on a mission, I'm having to spend ages following a plane to see if who's side there on. Are their any tips on recognising them (other than practice)?

Thanks

danjama's Avatar Senior Member
    Icons?!? Other than that the dots in this game are hard to see. Oh Yes, weve had many a debate on it here in GD!

Practice definitely. You'll find there are huge differences between the far LODs of various planes (square wingtips on all 109s, for example). You'll just pick this up after playing for a while.

Find out what the plane is not. If your flight is all Spits, for example, anything that looks different has to be enemy.

Use zoom view. Still smaller than RL, but better.

Tracers, big one. Have to know what color tracers each plane shoots. Can find things 10km away this way.

And lots of indirect factors, like performance. If you see a plane doing donuts on the deck, chances are it's not a FW190. Roll rates, etc.

This game is going to be so difficult to learn. I hope you guys haven't moved onto something else by the time I can fly.

F0_Dark_P's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by Triggaaar:
    This game is going to be so difficult to learn. I hope you guys haven't moved onto something else by the time I can fly.
    hehe no risk mate, sure battle of britain comes in 2006 (the sequel to il2) .. but i bet you will learn untill then, you just need to fly alot

We'll be moved onto a sim in which the same skills apply, so don't worry

Originally posted by Triggaaar:
    I'm sure that in the war, pilots did have trouble immediately recognising the planes around them, but I'm having a much harder time, for a few reasons:
    1) My 19" screen takes up a very small percentage of my overall vision, so a plane at 200 metres on my screen, appears a lot smaller than it would in real life.
    2) Although graphics have kept improving, they are obviously not as clear as real life.
    3) I have no idea what my radio is saying - when 7 says get him off my tale, I have no idea if they're talking about me, or to me (this bit I assume improves as you get a better understanding of the game).

When there's a lot of planes on a mission, I'm having to spend ages following a plane to see if who's side there on. Are their any tips on recognising them (other than practice)?

Thanks
    Yes, it`s true that without cons it s difficult to recognise planes and this may be harder than in reality, BUT I have noticed many similarities to historical accounts of WWII reality and IL2/FB.

Pilots in real life DID have trouble identifying bogeys.

Because of this similar tactics can be used in identifying them at distance.

1. Know your mission. Know where the enmy front is relative to you. Now, if you see dots in the distance ahead of you in direction of the enemy frontier might be the enemy. If you see dots to your left and right heading the OPPOSITE way to you it could be the enemy.

2. If closer dots ahead appear to break into pairs(offline) they `re likely fighters. If they keep in formation, either they`ve not seen you or are bombers.

3. Recognise tracer. For me the enmy often fire BLUE tracer. When I see a silhouette do that I keep my eyes on him. Almost certainly an enemy.

4. If Allied and you see the dot/silhouette going high after diving. Pay attenion to it. In fact always make any high unknown a priority.

5. If you see something making a beeline for yor tail behind you and you`re not sure who he is, EVADE. Better to evade a friendly than not evade an enemy.

6. Listen to calls, sometimes they are relevent to your situation. BOBII by shockwave is really VERY GOOD with it`s AI comms. You pretty much known all the time if a particular situation is concerning you or your squad. A pity that FB falls down on this.

7. When on on the tail of a plane you think is an enemy -DOUBLE CHECK- GET CLOSER. Once you see the tell tale signs, you can shoot.

It`s experience and time really.

Xiolablu3's Avatar Senior Member
    Most servers have some kind of icons on.

If they dont, then you shouldnt be flying there anyway, as they are for advanced pilots.(I gather you are new to this).

The only 'icons off' server I have been on is Warclouds, and even that server tells you what the plane is as it comes into range (more realistic because of the problems with monitors etc, as you have said.)

Just turn icons on if you are a beginner, and pick the easier servers first, to train on.

As everyone says, its experience, and only time will give you that. Enjoy learning by using icons and having a chance, rather than jumping in at the deep end.

Quite simply : get closer. But, more importantly, get closer AND above it if possible as identifying a plane that's above you means it's normally too late

Ta,
    Norris

Thanks everyone, some great tips.

Originally posted by Xiolablu3:
    I gather you are new to this.
    Depends on your derfinition of new. I've reckon I've clocked up over 10 hours
    Just turn icons on if you are a beginner, and pick the easier servers first, to train on.

As everyone says, its experience, and only time will give you that. Enjoy learning by using icons and having a chance, rather than jumping in at the deep end.
    I assumed that once everyone had learnt to fly, and switched on some realism, they had icons off? Is that not the case?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last ►►