I know this means little to many of you out there, you're too young or live in lands too distant to know the impact of this man. But this loss hits me hard, on Christmas day no less. Don't be fooled by the parodies on "Saturday Night Live" or "Mad T.V." or a million other shows. This man was a pure genius. "Versuvius in Kansas" one critic called him.

You may mistake him for a 50's crooner on songs like "Try Me" or "Prisoner of Love", or 60's soul shouter on "Pappa's Gotta Brand New Bag" and "I Feel Good", but that's just the tip of the iceberg. The complex, deep rhythms and crafted with Fred Wesley, Maceo Parker, Pee Wee Ellis and the rest of the J.B.'s were the foundation of modern Rap, R&B and the birthplace of Funk. He's been sampled by more "artists" than any other entity.

You've heard his music without knowing it, hummed his songs without remarking on it and danceed to his rhythms without remembering it. You may dismiss his sound as "primitive" or "raw" but to do so only shows your ignorance. If you've know musical talent at all just listen and try to under the rhythmic intricacies on a tune like "Cold Sweat" or "Give It Up, Turn it Loose". Many's a Berkley grad that laughs at it but can't play it.

Like many people, you sometimes don't miss the water till the well runs dry. I'm glad I saw James with the whole band at Proctors Theatre in Schenectady, NY about 3 years ago when he turned 70. The best song of the night funny enough, wasn't even one of his. As an encore he did a rousing rendition of "Soul Man", the classic Sam and Dave cut made popular by the Blues Brothers.

The balcony of the old place was bouncing up and down in time to the music... as he and Bobby Bird danced in time. We all danced, Red, Yellow, Black, White and Brown, on an elemental level, in the roots of our beings. That's what I'll remember most, how he made us all "forget our troubles and dance....

Da Worfster<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

msalama's Avatar Senior Member
    The hardest working man in the show business, the godfather of funk, has passed. May he rest in peace <div class="ev_tpc_signature">

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hippies FTW!

Poor bugger.

He probably woke up complaining "I feeeel bad" but the nurses thought he was being ironic....

Well .... hardly a "goodytwo shoes" by any means, hopefully he has a spot reserved above.

Well known for drug abuse and the criminal element, he did tread on the other side of the line many times.

A legend none the less.

Originally posted by h009291:
    Well .... hardly a "goodytwo shoes" by any means, hopefully he has a spot reserved above.

Well known for drug abuse and the criminal element, he did tread on the other side of the line many times.

A legend none the less.
    Elvis, Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis, John Lennon.. all did time but your point is noted.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

The music world just lost major heavy hitter from the 20th century.

Many people don't realize that JB did it all: Not only was he a firebrand performer, but he also wrote and arranged most of his own stuff (a rariety for a performer whose roots lie in the 1950's)

The JB's were a serious proving ground for talent. Maceo Parker, Bootsy and Catfish , ....geez, how about the entire original JB lineup from 1969 alone. Unreal.

Live at the Apollo belongs in any serious music lovers library. It's flat out inciendiary.

About ten years ago i was in a group that covered "Ain't it Funky Now" and "Superbad". Whenever we needed to jumpstart a set or light a fire under the audiences @ss those songs were there. I defy you to listen to this music and not dance.

"Funky Drummer" (to the best of my knowledge) remains the single most sampled song on planet earth<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

Originally posted by marc_hawkins:
    Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed. A 108:0 kill ratio is insignificant next to the power of the Force

http://www.fas.org/main/home.jsp

Bearcat99's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by h009291:

A legend none the less.
    I was waiting for that one..... <div class="ev_tpc_signature">

<UL TYPE=SQUARE> [/list]<UL TYPE=SQUARE> 332nd V.F.G.[/list]
    <span class="ev_code_GREEN">It is easier to train a boy than to repair a man.</span>

Sturmovik Essentials | Magnum PC.Com | Joint Operations

<span class="ev_code_white">Oleg: I think players should upgrade their PC after the release of Storm of War: The Battle of Britain, but not now. Minimum system would be probably like last year good system for IL-2 series. The simulation has gone from what was to be a study sim involving one aircraft to a real monster anthology of WWII aviation. The engine has been stretched to fit multi-engined bombers, aircraft that are linked (such as the Mistel and the TB-3/I-16 combinations), aircraft carriers, runway cratering, working searchlights, etc.

</span>

He's in heaven going:

"I feels good!!!!!!"

So long Mr. Brown!<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

Best Regards,
    Demon/UberDemon
    Get UQMG (UberQuick Mission Generator for PF/FB) for Free at www.uberdemon.com

hotspace's Avatar Senior Member
    R.I.P <div class="ev_tpc_signature">

Get all my Single Player Campaigns from **here**

**Hells Gazelles YouTube Site**

A real sad day in Music.

Like most fans of my age, I got into J.B. due to the use of his records in late 80's house music. It's just a shame that I will never see him live in concert.

James Brown, Da Soul Man, R.I.P!<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

Why do joysticks break when you need them the most?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last ►►