Well, considering the appraoching addons, I'm afraid that the online servers will become less populated.

Let me explain my point.
    The upcoming Pe-2 addon looks tempting to me, but I'm very sceptic about the percentage of people who will buy it.
    Let's face it:
    A great majority of players is not interested and never flies bombers.
    A great majority of players is not interested and never flies russian planes.
    Don't forget the fact that we received several other bombers absolutely for free...

Now combine these , and you'll see that probably a lot of people will stick to the current 4.04.
    Not to mention the other 2 addons which will be playable only if you have installed previous ones....

Probable Pe-2 and the following addons will sell well in Russia, but I'm very sceptical about the rest of the world.
    And since the russian community is maybe 40% or more of all online players, they will certainly miss us.

Very soon, when trying to connect we will see: "Connection refused, server uses diffrent version of the game 4.06".

Yet it has been noted, that IL-2 is not registry "connected", so you can have multiple copies of the game on your PC.
    So you can have 4.04 copy(the current one). 4.05(Pe-2), 4.06(year-46), 4.07(IL-10)
    But it will be quite of a mess to keep four copies of the same game on your HDD, copy and rename them just to be able to connect to specific server.

This question is already being asked on russian forums from peaple who have installed Pe-2 addon but want to play online.
    The solution seems to be to exchange only FILES.SFS file, but this has not been officially confirmed.

So can you please incorporate this into the code.
    If you are running a higher version of the game, 4.06 for example, and want to join a 4.04 server, make the game switch to 4.04.

It has been noted several times that the biggest problem of luring new players into the community is the inability for them to find all the needed versions and addons to be able to play online.
    We've just received the long awaited ALL-IN-ONE DVD, and are awaiting the fresh blood,

But it looks like these addon approach will spoil the effort....

WWMaxGunz's Avatar Senior Member
    Will addons include changes to FM engine or changes to planes already present?

jurinko's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by WWMaxGunz:
    Will addons include changes to FM engine or changes to planes already present?
    Yes.

Tipo-man, if you realize that in Pe-2 addon you are paying also for 3.0X+4.0X free patches, prepared by 1C often despite UBI forcing them to concentrate on BoB solely, you are funny saying "I am not buying some russian bomber".

I am working on the 3rd party map almost 1 1/2 year, all my spare free time, for free.

wasnt there the same "fear" before PF release ?!?!?!

Chuck_Older's Avatar Banned
    Please read carefully-

every few months there is another 'community split' panic. It will not happen. The sky will not fall, and the Il2 community will not have a great schism. That is all, have a nice day

Originally posted by Chuck_Older:
    Please read carefully-

every few months there is another 'community split' panic. It will not happen. The sky will not fall, and the Il2 community will not have a great schism. That is all, have a nice day
    How do you know that this already hasn't happened? Let me explain it simpler for you:
    There is a kid John,13, who is attracted by aircrafts. His mother is buying him IL-2 in a buy-and-go-to-play-online-DVD for his birthdaty.
    Now we have a chance to attract this John to the community. He receives his DVD, installs the game and starts playing online

What will happen actually will be.
    He receives his DVD, installs the game and tries to connect. The connection is refused. If he does not give up at this moment, he will certainly forget about this game when he learns that he has to buy THREE more add-ons just to be able to play.

Jurinko, are you going to call him, or his mother personally to explain that:"in Pe-2 addon you are paying also for 3.0X+4.0X free patches"?

Don't you think that the mere fact that there are so limited sales of PF in the US and so few players online means that maybe a lot of possible players have been lost?

And now, when the solution is here, namely the
    buy-and-go-to-play-online-DVD, everything will be spoiled with these next addons...

Tipo,
    I would be conserned if Pe-2 and other addon were release in russia only, as was originally planned. Now, since it will be release world wide, why are we talking about split? You example about kid John is a bit off too mate, sorry. We chose hobbies we can afford. If we cant, we stay away. That`s life. Not everyone drives porsche you know.

Troll2k's Avatar Senior Member
    The same thing exists now.If a guy buys PF and gets online he finds there are hardly any players for the standalone and to play where all the people are he needs to buy Forgotten Battles and the Ace Expension Pack.Or from the other end someone get Forgotten Battles and gets online only to find he needs AEP and PF to play with the most people.

Ivan,
    Maybe my topic name is not the most appropriate one.

IL-2 has always had the reputation of being "for maniacs" only. You have to know you want to get it , then go to buy it, then spend some time to make it run.
    Just compare the sales of CFS and IL-2 in the US for example... I simply can't imagine how people can buy an inferior product at a higher price!
    I think it's not Oleg's fault for such bad marketing of such an exceptional product.

We are a closed community, sorry to say it, but I don't think a lot of new players are joining us lately. The number of online players is constant fom several years.

Now with this buy-and-go-to-play-online-DVD we have the chance to get some fresh blood. If it didn't existed, I wouldn't complain...

WWSensei's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by Troll2k:
    The same thing exists now.If a guy buys PF and gets online he finds there are hardly any players for the standalone and to play where all the people are he needs to buy Forgotten Battles and the Ace Expension Pack.Or from the other end someone get Forgotten Battles and gets online only to find he needs AEP and PF to play with the most people.
    I think it's a lot of hand wringing for nothing. The serious flight simmers will be aware of the various needs and buy them. The casual gamer won't and will lose interest. Just like the most likely would have lost interest when the steep learning curve is encountered.

Flight sim community has pretty much always been this way.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... Last ►►