I am new to IL-2/FB. I like the Battle of Britain airplanes. Can anyone give me some pointers on how to fly the Emil 109?

I'm curious about when to use manual prop pitch and your best climb speed.

Also, how in the heck do you fight the Spitfire, that guy is tough?

Thanks a lot....

I am new to IL-2/FB. I like the Battle of Britain airplanes. Can anyone give me some pointers on how to fly the Emil 109?

I'm curious about when to use manual prop pitch and your best climb speed.

Also, how in the heck do you fight the Spitfire, that guy is tough?

Thanks a lot....

If it was me, I'd leave the CEM alone in the EMIL. That motor shreds in a heart beat. At least for me anyway. Emils are sweet to fly, but I prefer 109's with more guns. As for beating the Spit, it can be done, but you have to know your plane, fly it well and pick your fight rather than letting the Spit driver pick your fight. This is true is most fights with most planes as well. As far as specific "anti spit" stuff, I'm no help.

Keep flying and dying and you will figure it out.

Check out the IL2 user guide link that is posted below. LOTS of good info there and more to come I hope.

Virtus Junxit,
    Mors Non Separabit.
    [img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RQAAAGcT2og50!y1f7NgYX4rH0SBKAJ0*TnOdC3*WtgnO6hGP KX5PiB5W62XzquB*!VrAP7Zdv0N0X0XoOghYlsdCNgJc9MWMJg aWb0iiKk/109g2%20small.jpg[/img]
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

(When all else fails, play dead.)
    [img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0QADWAvYSnGZaJjyZNeiWgIEGvdX5tvNMbEyaBCk7k0umnkdtM fvXk7UORkarzGe3nPMS77RyIzTPhfsJQW!gr!MM82pBzaYVzoz WAgBwaSg/******ss.gif[/img]

Hi, I'm no fighter jock, others know the 109 alot better then me, but I only use manual prop to cool my engine. For the spitfires use combat flaps if you have to turn with them. Try to stay close to others on your team.

roybaty's Avatar Senior Member
    Unless you're in a fight with planes of a similar time frame (Hurri's Mig3s etc) you'll get your but kicked. That being said a few quick ponters:

1. Keep your speed up

2. Use BnZ tactics/surprise

3. I you have complex engine management of watch your RPM and temperature gauges closely. Been a while but I believe the 109E likes to hold RPM around 2200-2400 any higher and the engine overheats.

4. Learn to use your radiator alot. I keep mine full open and if I need speed I close it until my engine temps get critical, then I pop it open again.

-------------- QUICK SPECS --------------

-------------- HARDWARE --------------

MOTHERBOARD: Asus A7N266c
    PROCESSOR: AMD XP2000@1.7 Ghz
    SOUNDCARD: SB Live, Gamer 5.1
    VIDEO CARD: PNY nVidia Ti4400/128
    RAM: 1 Gig 2100 DDR
    HOTAS 1: Thrustmaster COUGAR
    HOTAS 2: Saitek X36
    PEDALS: CH Pro Pedals USB
    OTHER INPUT: Track IR2

-------------- SOFTWARE --------------

VOICE COMMAND: Shoot 1.6
    DX Ver: 9b

An expert I'm not, but what find that works for me is.
    1) Leave the prop pitch on auto as you will have read, the engine will shred in a second.
    2)I leave the rad open until I enter the fight then close it to postion 2. Doing this I find that I never over heat the engine.
    3)Keep your speed up and use boom and zoom tactics. Never get into a turn fight with a spit.
    4)I find it climbs best around 300kph.

Anybody know what your best altitudes are to fight in with the Emil?

F19_Ob's Avatar Senior Member
    To use the proppitch efficently and avoid frying the engine U must be able to adjust it quickly like in real life, especially important in turning engagements with vertical maneuvers. Some claim that a slider works fine, but i dont have one so i cant compare.

Manual proppitch works fine for me if I do only careful BnZ attacks where quicker adjustments aren't nescessary.

U have to watch your RPM gauge and not alow it to rise over the recommended value ( U find the recommended values on your cd). U can also use the enginesound to hear when its time to shift but u will fry some engines in the beginning.

----------------------------------------------

With the bf109 F model the auto proppitch was standard so "most" pilots used that in combat to lessen the workload and save the engine for a few flights more.
    --------------------------------------------------

I'm still hoping for someone "active" to post a 109 track with manualproppitch in action, with fast turns and vertical movements and rapid speed changes.

Treetop64's Avatar Senior Member
    You problably don't want to get into a turning fight with the Spit when you are flying the Emil. Use "zoom-and-boom" tactics, in other words, keep your energy level high by attacking the Spit only in a dive, then zoom away and gain altitude for your next run. That way, you maintain the initiative, and can dictate the terms of the fight - provided you are not fighting an ace who knows how to extract the maximum from his craft. In that case it's better to run away and fight another day, for the Spit - in the right hands - is a superior aircfraft over the Emil in a fight.

georgeo76's Avatar Senior Member
    You can go low and slow w/ a spit, in fact I'd recommend it. The difference in turn performance between the spit and early 109 isn't that much, and the slower you go, the less advantage the spit has. In a sustained slow speed (less than 200km/h) turn, the spit will drop a wing and lawn dart before it can pull lead on you.