like this:
    http://www.pilotenbunker.de/Jagdflie...olf_profil.jpg

Is it because they were afraid to forget which was was which or something? Was there a large problem with pilots getting into their a/c and sitting backwards? Did pilots try to take off in reverse or something?

Maybe it was something to ease shipping and handeling, like a "this side up" arrow?

Please enlighten me.

like this:
    http://www.pilotenbunker.de/Jagdflie...olf_profil.jpg

Is it because they were afraid to forget which was was which or something? Was there a large problem with pilots getting into their a/c and sitting backwards? Did pilots try to take off in reverse or something?

Maybe it was something to ease shipping and handeling, like a "this side up" arrow?

Please enlighten me.

Probably just for fun and decoration.

Allied pilots usually preferred pinup girls. Given the choice between cutie girls or arrows, it's obvious that arrows lost the war ;-)

I believe engineering ability and artistic ability are controlled by two seperate parts of the brain. Maybe they were a bit lacking on one of them.

-PURGE-
    its good for you

For the same reason you put stripes on a car. It makes it go faster. The drag caused by the arrow much much less than, for example, a topless girl.

German designers also realized that painting a spiral on the propellor hub increased thrust.

It was planned to augment the Me-262 with pinstriped flames, but it was not completed before the war ended.

Charos's Avatar Senior Member
    I would like to know this as well --the Red Arrow appears on all operationl JG1 HE162's, I have never been able to find out its origin or why it appears there.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Charos:
    I would like to know this as well --the Red Arrow appears on all operationl JG1 HE162's, I have never been able to find out its origin or why it appears there.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just a stab in the dark: didn't these a/c have to be towed to take-off position? Maybe the red arrow was there to remind the guy driving the tow vehicle that he'd cause serious damaged to the a/c if he attempted to back up while towing?

Somebody do a test. Paint arrows on a skin for some Allied fighter and see if it makes a difference compared to the regular arrowless configuration.

SKY_BOSS's Avatar Member
    Just to funny

It was meant to confuse allied pilots. The Mustang pilot saw the arrow and thought "yeah, he's going to fly into that direction!!!" but tthe sneaky German all of a sudden turned to get on his six.

-----------------------------

So long.We wish you well.
    You told us how you weren't afraid to die.
    Well then, so long.Don't cry.
    Or feel too down.
    Not all martyrs see divinity.
    But at least you tried.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last ►►