• Yes

38 64.41%
  • No

11 18.64%
  • Fneb

10 16.95%
    MB_Avro_UK's Avatar Senior Member
    hi all,

Brisk walking for 30 minutes each day is the best exercise. No physical stresses or injuries and no Gym costs.

And the scenery is better than a gym mirror...

Best Regards,
    MB_Avro.

VW-IceFire's Avatar Senior Member
    Typically...although I'm still feeling some winter hibernation...I'll run 2-3 times a week for 30 minutes or so. During the winter its on an elliptical which is far more boring and not nearly as strenuous.

I really want to get back to playing (real) football/soccer (however you want to slice that) but finding teams is hard once you get into your 20s it seems. Too young for the old timers and too old for the wee little ones.

I also used to referee which was a 3 hour workout every night chasing kids and yelling at coaches but that was a little wearing on the nerves.

What a coincidence, I cancelled my gym membership this evening because I finally had enough with the place. I got fed of the waiting to use equipment (my record is 20 minutes for a treadmill, then I gave up and buggered off home). Then when you were on equipment the "sted-heads" would keep bugging people (including me) constantly asking "how many more sets?" or "how long have you got left to run"? . What really pissed me off that there was not enough equipment to go around and yet the staff were STILL showing people around and signing them up.
    I wouldn't mind the wait if the equipment was in decent shape but it wasn't, it was often not working as it should or not working at all.
    Just before Christmas 9 out of 12 treadmills were out of action and they didn't get fixed until mid January and even then 4 of them had restrictions, you couldn't go faster than 4 mph because in their words it "has a tendency to stop suddenly" .
    The music that they played was also a major headache (I literally had a headache when I left), because all they would play was all this techno trance bollocks at maximum volume. I even took my iPOD with me and tried to listen to Metallica or Iron Maiden (perfect for running) and I couldn't hear it because the music was that loud.
    I tried to complain but the management is non existent and the "trainers" (I use that term very loosely) couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery .
    I have now decided to take up Karate again, it is 8 years since I last did it so there is a lot of rust that I will need to shake off. I cannot wait to start doing it again and I have really missed it since my last club went bust.

P.S. The so called gym that I went to was owned by JJB, I am naming and shaming them because I don't want others to waste their money on this poor quality excuse for a gym.

P.P.S. if anyone asks "wasn't there anything good about it?", there was one, the bird on the desk was gorgeous but that was about it.

DKoor's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
    I really want to get back to playing (real) football/soccer (however you want to slice that) but finding teams is hard once you get into your 20s it seems. Too young for the old timers and too old for the wee little ones.
    LoL my problem exactly. We used to play small soccer EVERY day. Nowadays I don't play at all, everyone is preoccupied with other things in life, it seems. So Gym is the only "solution" I can work out for now...

It isn't bad, but it can get a bit sterile over the time... I know I already worked out there for years. But TBH man get used to that, and what seems to be really hard physical effort to other people who do not work out regularly (or at all) is laughable to a guy who work out in the gym regularly.
    be it running on the track, bicycle, weight training, rowing or else... Every day... but today, I'm in pathetic shape and it'll took several months before I retain my old fitness level.

Also I feel that many of us share @Warrington_Wolf's Gym problem. Too many people at the same time... can be major p@in in the arse. So I decided to avoid "rush-hour", people seem to either directly go to a gym from work, or they have a snack and then go for it
    So now I avoid that time.

Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
    Typically...although I'm still feeling some winter hibernation...I'll run 2-3 times a week for 30 minutes or so. During the winter its on an elliptical which is far more boring and not nearly as strenuous.

I also used to referee which was a 3 hour workout every night chasing kids and yelling at coaches but that was a little wearing on the nerves.

I love Soccer!!!!

I'm a student, so there's no way I can afford gym membership. I try to get in ample walking and a little running, as well as a few press-ups, pull-ups and sit-ups. By far the most fun is flying my powerkite in a gale, boy does that give you a workout

The annoying thing is, after all that I still have the biceps of a 12 year old

Originally posted by BuzzU:
    I'm a Greek God.
    daddy?

M2morris's Avatar Senior Member
    I lift wieghts 3 or 4 times a week, running; not much anymore. I ran the US West marathon in Seatle in 87, one in Salem Oregon in 88, then the Frankfurt marathon in 90, and the Shamrock sportsfest marathon in VA beach in 95. In the shamrock marathon I didnt very good, it took me 4 hours and after I was passed at the 21 mile mark by a guy wearing a kirmit the frog suit,(yes) and a 72 year old man, I decided to let the marathon thing go and just do 10 ks or ten milers. My best marathon time was 3 hrs and 35 min. I have gained 25 pounds since retiring from the Army, but I have still been lifting wieghts so at least I am still doing somthing.
    I can lift my wife and do whats needed there(118 pounds)

skarden's Avatar Senior Member
    To echo what everyboby else is sayin you really cant go wrong with some sort of physical exercise,Not only is it good for your body(duh) it also does great things for your mind,teach's disipline,dedication and most of all(i think)it gives you confidence in your self.

But as the others say as well MAKE SURE you have the right gear,if your jogging get some jogging shoes,and ease into it,if your doing some weight training do some reasearch on it(there's heaps of sites and books to check out) as doing it wrong can really do damage to a body that isn't used to it(or even if it is).

Oh yeah your inceased stamina through sport and exercise will also increase your stamihna in ah.........other area's of your life

Good luck and remember like most things worth doing in life,it's not easy but easly worth doing.

I'm training for a triathlon in July and a martial arts trip to Brazil in June, so at the moment I train about 10-12 times a week:

Capoeira: 4-5 times a week (Wed, Thurs evenings, twice Saturday and once on Sunday)

Gymnastics/acrobatics: 1-2 times a week (Every Tues evening and occasionally Friday, if I'm not to busy)

Weights: 1-2 times a week (Every Monday evening and sometimes a light session on Wed evening before Capoeria training)

Running/Swimming: Mon, Wed, Thurs, Fri lunchtimes at work. Variety of stuff, including fartlek and interval training, as well as longer 40-50 minute runs.

Cycling: Friday and (sometimes) Sunday morning, between one and two hours, depending on who I train with (I hang out with some guys who cycle up to 5000 km a year).

Normally I'd do about 75% of the above, cutting out a running session, a capoeria session, a bike session and a weights session, but I like to keep busy...