Bearcat99's Avatar Senior Member
    Tonight's episode in particular is very interesting.. I was so surprised by the implications of it in light of current politally correct trends in the U.S. that it took me a while to digest it. If you can catch it again when it comes on the second time.. the segment I am referring to is in the first hour and it deals with the D-Day invasion.

Tonight's episode in particular is very interesting.. I was so surprised by the implications of it in light of current politally correct trends in the U.S. that it took me a while to digest it. If you can catch it again when it comes on the second time.. the segment I am referring to is in the first hour and it deals with the D-Day invasion.

leitmotiv's Avatar Senior Member
    I'm stunned it isn't terrible. Best part, so far, has been the in-depth treatment of the poor Americans, military and civilian, left in the lurch in the Philippines. The fiasco there has been completely ignored by Americans for 62 years.

BoCfuss's Avatar Senior Member
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by leitmotiv:
    I'm stunned it isn't terrible. Best part, so far, has been the in-depth treatment of the poor Americans, military and civilian, left in the lurch in the Philippines. The fiasco there has been completely ignored by Americans for 62 years. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There was no way to rescue them, what would you suggest? If the Japanese even smelled of an rescue attempt they would have ALL died. Not flaming, I just think that this was part of a war where millions were dying, you have to pick and choose your battles. I can't comprehend it now either, but this war sucked all the way around because hitler was allowed to rise to power.

M_Gunz's Avatar Banned
    Hitler rose to power because things were impossible in Germany following WWI and made worse
    when the French seized the Alsace-Lorraine region. How'd you like years with inflation at
    3 to 5 MILLION percent? Talk about picking who lives and who dies....
    That is why countries get built back up afterwards, why the USSR was given so much wheat, etc,
    throughout decades and why the mideast is so unstable -- a Hungry Crowd is an Angry Crowd.

It's only a shame that while money poured into rebuilding industries elsewhere that none was
    put into modernizing the older stuff here but trading grief elsewhere for here is stock in
    trade and "helps to break the unions". So of course we do have a lot of angry people here
    but since the most angry are poor and can't elect a Hitler they don't count though that hasn't
    stopped the violence as anyone knows.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm stunned it isn't terrible. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was about to praise your earlier condemnation of Mr. Burns previous work, and give you some credit for being right about this one too.

I had liked all his previous docs - but I am finding myself surprisingly disappointed by this effort.

BoCfuss's Avatar Senior Member
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by M_Gunz:
    Hitler rose to power because things were impossible in Germany following WWI and made worse
    when the French seized the Alsace-Lorraine region. How'd you like years with inflation at
    3 to 5 MILLION percent? Talk about picking who lives and who dies....
    That is why countries get built back up afterwards, why the USSR was given so much wheat, etc,
    throughout decades and why the mideast is so unstable -- a Hungry Crowd is an Angry Crowd.

It's only a shame that while money poured into rebuilding industries elsewhere that none was
    put into modernizing the older stuff here but trading grief elsewhere for here is stock in
    trade and "helps to break the unions". So of course we do have a lot of angry people here
    but since the most angry are poor and can't elect a Hitler they don't count though that hasn't
    stopped the violence as anyone knows. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Poor = Angry. I guess the poor should keep waiting for some government to come save them. Its been working so well. The poor think they deserve something. They don't. I don't disagree with you. That doesn't change the fact that Hitler did what he did and that he was allowed to.

Yeah I'd been taping it so I was in and out of the room periodically.

I'd have to say that it's surpassed my expectations.

I'll have to watch it again sometime soon. Lots of info.

I was impressed that Ken Burns managed to (mostly) not use lots of footage I'd seen many times before.

Like BC said, I think it will take some time to digest.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Poor = Angry. I guess the poor should keep waiting for some government to come save them. Its been working so well. The poor think they deserve something. They don't. I don't disagree with you. That doesn't change the fact that Hitler did what he did and that he was allowed to. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does poor=angry? No it doesn't... but poor and hungry can equal angry, very angry... can you say French Revolution just to name one instance.... When the poor are poor because of mistakes made by their government be they policy decisions resulting in a privileged few reaping most of the benefits at the expense of the many or outright mismanagement of a nations resources, natural , monetary or human or a direct policy of ethnic inequality.. poor can indeed equal angry..... and yes those poor people do deserve something. So many people tend to think that being poor is a crime or that poor people are poor because they are lazy... which isn't always the case... I cannot say what I would do if I had to sit and watch my children waste away.. because there was no food to be had..... Many of us in the U.S. take so much for granted...

As for the war... it is so easy for us to sit here and armchair quarterback the history 60 years after the fact.... on all sides... but we can never redo it... and we can never put ourselves in the positions of the men who were there. Of course that doesn't justify what Germany did... but the facts are the facts... hard times and demagogues go together like sex and wetspots...

War is something that takes on a life of it's own once it begins.. wars that may start over an assassination, a need for expansion, to defend ones homeland or ones way of life, a response to an attack... or a fabricated threat... always wind up on all sides.. the "aggressor" or the "victim" being a fight to just survive.. to return to ones family in one piece.

Yes being poor is not a crime. There are those who have been economically dispossessed in some way and may be a struggle to get back to something better. I know that's certainly the case where I have some inlaws in Galesburg, IL. Maytag pulled out all their mfg jobs and sent them to China. Realestate there is very cheap; but then there are few jobs to support that economy now.

Funny thing was that when jobs first started going to China, the Mexican manufacturers were feeling the same competition that originally were experienced by American factory workers. Many of those jobs went over to China. But now here's something to think about: as energy prices, and particularly oil go up, at what point does it make more sense to make your goods closer?

Sorry to drag things off topic a bit. Rant:Off.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last ►►