http://farshores.org/wm05moto.htm

Apparently some Russian inventor has built a perpetual motor out of magnets. (Of course he wants to GIVE it away to the Russian government, but they don't want it.)

Zeus-cat's Avatar Senior Member
    If you read part two of the article it says the guy is changing his name to raaaidovich.

raaaid's Avatar Senior Member
    wow thanks for the link

the fact you cant find the design on the net makes me think it works

i tried making thing with magnets and they are soooo complicated

but to ponder what would happen if you melted a magnet? wouldnt achieve perpetual motion?

WWSensei's Avatar Senior Member
    Yet another magnet scam that's only been tried by about 100 other people with very little knowledge of physics. Raaaid, you can't find the design because one doesn't exist. As for melting a magnet, no you wouldn't achieve perpetual motion for two reasons:

1) heat would alter the magnet
    2) perpetual motion is in violation of the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics. It can't be done. It's not an untested theory but a law.

MEGILE's Avatar Senior Member
    lollerskates.com

LEBillfish's Avatar Senior Member
    Perpetual motion has already been discovered...

Time to do something really important like "STOP" the voices in my head.

raaaid's Avatar Senior Member
    conservation of energy is a principle and as such an asumption through observation, theres no way to prove so it could be wrong

the pitagoric first assumed that everything could be expressed as number, hippasus discovered that square root of two was an inconmesurable number that cant be expressed in a cypher, he got murdered for this

so then they start measuring things with compass and start using geometry and they assumed 2 paralel lines never cut

another assumption that 24 centuries later would be proven wrong in the euclidean geometry

as revolutionary that the discoverer didnt dare to publish it so itd have to wait

so we should be taught principles are asumptions and as such can be wrong instead of being an unmovable rule as could be dont cut your beard

I built this as a science project in the 6th grade.

I can see why this must be a revelation in the ex-Soviet Union, seeing as they finally got access to electricity.

heywooood's Avatar Senior Member
    what are two parallel lines?

there is no such possiblity.

you can draw two lines on a piece of paper and call that parallel - but they are not, nor will they ever be...not even hypothetically possible in this undulating, expanding universe.

nothing can be either perfectly straight or perfectly flat here...that needs to be understood.

the two lines would have to occupy exactly the same space in exactly the same moment - and that precludes the possibilty of there being two seperate and distinct parallel lines.

this is the same reality that prevents the existence of two or more parallel universes...everyone knows there are a miriad of universes, an overlaping and intertwining meshwork of realities intersecting at the major epochs and upheavals in 'time' but they are hardly parallel.

I thought you studied this stuff raaaaaid...I'm a little disappointed frankly..

Aaron_GT's Avatar Senior Member
    conservation of energy is a principle and as such an asumption through observation, theres no way to prove so it could be wrong
    It's actually used as an axiom on which other theories are based. These other theories also match well with observation and so the challenge would go deeper.

There are some who suggest that at the quantum level the conservation of energy might appear not to hold due to zero point energy of a vacuum, although energy would still be being conserved in reality. It is suggested that any such 'borrowing' from the zero point energy would have to be on a very very short time scale before it had to be paid back although there are some that suggest that this might be sufficient to then start a cascade that could have formed the Big Bang.

Quantum effects can cause things we observe at the macro level - electronics depends on this - but whether a series of magnets and mechanical devices could be exploiting some quantum effect and be borrowing from zero point energy at such a rate that it would actually be detectable and long lasting is highly unlikely even if borrowing from the vacuum is even possible.

See the Casimir effect for details which relates zero point energy to electromagnetics.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last ►►