I want to get a sound card but I don't want to get a mistake. Are there informative opinions? I am currently wondering about audigy 4 versus x-fi extreme music (which bolsters improved gaming, my PF doesn't need it.).

I want to get a sound card but I don't want to get a mistake. Are there informative opinions? I am currently wondering about audigy 4 versus x-fi extreme music (which bolsters improved gaming, my PF doesn't need it.).

-HH-Quazi's Avatar Senior Member
    Imho, an Audigy 2 Value gets the same results as its more expensive brethren. I don't think there is any advatage that the Audigy 4 gives over the Audigy 2. Those two remind me of ATIs release of the X850 over the X800, just trying to get more $$$ for the same technology. Now the Xi-FI Creative cards do use newer technology, but I don't believe it enhances game play or in game sounds no better than its Audigy 2 cousin, at least from what I have read it doesn't. Now, if you are an avid PC music listener, then the Xi-FI makes sense.

Bottomline, a $30 to $40 Audigy 2 Value gets the job done. I actually found my Audigy 2 on eBay for $22 including shipping. I have run it for going on 2 years now without issue. Just a thought here.

Read a review on the X-fi and on doing a game comparrison it noted no improvement in fps. I have audigy2-zs and its great. Also improved sound when copying records for compilation on cd, has a lower noise floor then sound blater. Seeems that the extra 64mb of ram on xfi really does nothing althoug its supposed to reduce ythe CPU wok load. Id look up some reviews on the web before buying.

A couple of months ago I got a new PC.
    The old one has an Audigy2 soundcard which I thought was pretty good. The new PC has a Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS soundcard which gives me much better sound when firing guns.
    I can't compare framerates between the 2 PC's because the new one has much better hardware.
    When I fly on online servers with lots of loud explosions that are not in my pilot's field of view, I don't get the pauses I used to with the old PC. I think much of this is related to the X-Fi.

I do most of my flying wearing Plantronics Audio 90 headset.

ytareh's Avatar Senior Member
    Ive had both Audigy 2 ZS and XFi music.These are probably the only 2 serious options.Audigy 2ZS is 98% as good.I sold my XFi and went back to 2ZS...

I have audigy 2 on one machine, and onboard sound ao the other, and they sound the same to me when playing games, the audigy 2 is much better in other applications so if gaming is the only use, I wouldn't worry about it, unless you have a really good set of speakers.

I have to make a decision and depending on what I'm told by my computer manufacturer and maybe others, I'll give a performance opinion. That is if I get a fps increasing product.

I think the sound card merely needs to be adequate. Expensive ones won't really improve anything in terms of quality of FPS.

Even if it did improve performance, you'd be better off getting a better V/C, or some more RAM, with that money.

Treetop64's Avatar Senior Member
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by -HH-Quazi:
    Imho, an Audigy 2 Value gets the same results as its more expensive brethren... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Listen to the man! I couldn't agree more with Quazi. SB Audigy 2 definitely wins the "Bang for the Buck" award in my book!

Get it without hesitation.