I live in Duluth, and we just got over 24 inches of snow. This got me wondering what they used in WWII to remove snow from airfield, or did they do it by hand?

I live in Duluth, and we just got over 24 inches of snow. This got me wondering what they used in WWII to remove snow from airfield, or did they do it by hand?

Chuck_Older's Avatar Banned
    Snowplows existed in the 19th century. Horse drawn snowplows were in use in the US by the 1890s.

For a runway I bet the Army was more sophisticated than using shovels exclusively, but with such a large free workforce, I bet our soldiers shovelled an awful lot of snow on base.

do I hear the echoes of the days of '39? ~Clash

BfHeFwMe's Avatar Banned
    We need ski equipped early Yaks, I-16's, and Sturmos.

horseback's Avatar Senior Member
    Somehow, I just can't envision the LW or the VVS using snowblowers or snowplows; on grass fields, this might have had a less than ideal effect on the landing surface.

I'm guessing lots of enlisted men or hired/impressed civilians with shovels.

Cheers

horseback

"Here's your new Mustangs, boys. You can learn to fly'em on the way to the target. Cheers!" -LTCOL Don Blakeslee, 4th FG CO, February 27th, 1944

Surely they had plain old buldozers on hand, especially on the grass strips. At least they had plenty of room to pile the snow; the pile outside my window has nearly reached 3rd floor.

Similarly, do you suppose they had heated hangars? I kind of doubt it.

What weight oils were used? It was -30F here today. Tommorrow its supposed to warm up to the -20s.
    I cringe at the thought of trying to spin my little 327 over tommorrow morning--its full of 15W-40!

-HH-Dubbo's Avatar Senior Member
    Hangars? Hangars!!?? Pure Luxury. We used to dream of having a hangar. All they would give us was a tent...and we had to supply out own poles. We'd have to get up, half an hour before we went to bed........

It only funny 'til someone loses an eye.......oops

We have had just about the same wonderful weather in the Northeast, temp right around a Oil Corp's Stock Holders dream,-10 without the wind chill. We even set a couple records, but I believe it was Oil & Gas Profits.
    I have read that they packed the snow on some landing fields, using large rollers. They used these same rollers pulled by Ox and Horse around in the Northeast for roads until more powerful trucks could handel the plowing of snow.
    They also used the old stand by the shovel, but most used snow plows powered by either tractor,truck or animal power and in modern time snow blowers.

One word:

SALT.

Pretty ******* easy to melt snow with salt. How did this not occur to you?

The germans probably used forced labour and horses with plows to get rid of the snow. Remember that they used more horses than trucks on the Eastern front. The Wehrmacht had quite a lot of Panzer but a lot of their soldiers had to walk on foot.

Petter ***

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last ►►