Hi, Im looking for a cheaper alternative to a 64 bit $2000+ rig, and for 500.00 bucks a top of line Dell might do fine. They have the 865, or 875 chipset.P4 800MGhz FSB, 400 Memory.and they would be a WELCOME upgrade!

Anyone running a Dell 4400-4600,or 8300 with good luck and no complaints?

Hi, Im looking for a cheaper alternative to a 64 bit $2000+ rig, and for 500.00 bucks a top of line Dell might do fine. They have the 865, or 875 chipset.P4 800MGhz FSB, 400 Memory.and they would be a WELCOME upgrade!

Anyone running a Dell 4400-4600,or 8300 with good luck and no complaints?

Post this question in community help. My experience with Dell was decidely negative.

Solutions for internet security & spyware problems... http://www.geocities.com/callingelvis911/s_s.html

Luckyboy = Senior hydraulic landing gear designer for the P-11 & Contributing Editor to Complete Users magazine.

Taylortony's Avatar Senior Member
    I run a 2 gig 8200 and has 1024 mb 400hz rambus on board, upgraded the gforce 3 to a 5900 fx xt 128mb and it runs in perfect mode fine, nice and smooth the gf3 would run it too but very jerky next best setting was smooth on it though.. so yours will be a higher spec, never had a prob with Dells and i am a return sucke...errr, customer well satisfied... If you can get more memory you want about 500 min on xp and a 1000 would be the icing on the proverbial,.... 2000 would be the cream on that all served by a buxom wench and a good graphics card in it

Korolov's Avatar Senior Member
    While I haven't owned a Dell myself, everyone I know that has gotten one, has had a very bad experience with it.

lbhskier37's Avatar Senior Member
    for $500 its not quite top of the line. If you get it with a 2.8ghz chip, 1gb of ram, and Radeon 9800Pro video card it will be pretty nice and do quite nicely, but that will up the price from $500 a lot. Dells are fine, if you reformat them imediately after opening the box and install widows without all the garbage they give you preinstalled.

Official "uber190n00b"
    "Only the spirit of attack, born in a brave heart, will bring success to any fighter aircraft, no matter how highly developed it may be." Adolf Galland

fordfan25's Avatar Senior Member
    the pc i have now is a dell and iv had it for about 2 1/2 years now. so far iv had no probs with it. if your looking for a mainly gameing pc with good upgrade potentel have one made at a shop near you. how ever you probly wont be able to make payments like you can from dell but in a few years when you need to up grade it wont cost you near as much. basicly a dell is like a chevy drive it till it start smokeing <about 3 years >and then through it away and get a new one.

heywooood's Avatar Senior Member
    I bought a Dell in 2001 Dimension 8100

I was told it would be upgradeable 100%

Was not told about the proprietary motherboards however... kinda critical info that would have affected my decision to buy.

See - If you want to upgrade the processor from 1.2 you need to upgrade the Mobo too.. but with Dell you can only upgrade to a 1.8 chip as they have no plans to reconfigure a board to accept anything better. I would never have bought from Dell had I known - and I will never give them another cent.... and I wont even tell you how many calls i had to make - or how long I
    waited on hold over the 3-4 days it took to finally get someone that comprehended what I
    was asking for to give me a straight answer.

Dell computers< crap

fordfan25's Avatar Senior Member
    thats just what i was talking about. i have a 1.6 its upgradeble to a 2.0 and to go higher means a new mobo. and that will only take to a 2.4 after that id have to buy a new case and power supplie ect.dells are great for nongameing but the only resone to buy a dell is if your like me and dont have the cash on hand to right out buy a pc you can make payments. of course though youll be paying for it long after its so outdated it wont play new games anymore.my advice is ether buy on from ibuypower or some company like them or have one built. 2 years from know youll thank yourself.or you can be like me and weep into your pillow at night at the thoughts of not being able to play p.f

heywooood's Avatar Senior Member
    Fordfan...

what kills me the most is that when I placed the order and asked the rep. specifically whether or not this would be an issue I was assured that it would not be a problem to upgrade the cpu regardless.

And I had no trouble changeing the soundcard
    the video card and adding more memory and a second hard drive.. but the key item?...