Just saw an episode of Dogfights on the history channel where a P-51 pilot was in a head on pass with 2 Me-262s about 500 feet above and jettisoned his drop tanks hoping to hit the 262's with them. He missed, but it got me wondering, would this actually work in the sim?

AndyJWest's Avatar Senior Member
    the history channel
    Yeah, right...

As for whether this would work in the sim, I don't know, and don't care. I'm sure if you were in a Sopwith Camel, and a F-16 made a close pass, you could down it with a halfbrick if you threw it at the right time, but how many attempts would it need?

The 'History Channel' is bunk...

M_Gunz's Avatar Banned
    Who was above? How were they arranged? How full were the drop tanks?

You can get lunched by debris from a broken/blown-up plane, you can take planes out by dropping bombs on them
    or at least we've seen screenshots of cassettes destroying bombers in flight so why not drop tanks?

The whole collision thing though is a bit iffy. Sometimes you get the damage, sometimes you don't.

na85's Avatar Senior Member
    Pretty sure that drop tanks do indeed have a collision model.

I can't say I've tested this though, and am too lazy to try :P

prob does work as i have been taken out by bombs with 10 sec delayed dropped as the enemy runs on the deck.

Originally posted by na85:
    Pretty sure that drop tanks do indeed have a collision model.

I can't say I've tested this though, and am too lazy to try :P
    I tested it years ago and it does nothing. To my great disappointment.

The History Channel gets a lot of grief (deservedly so). But if I were sitting in Tim's talking with a Veteran who told me this story I sure would believe that he had tried it. Just because he told it to the History Channel then they told me - does not mean that it is bunk, or worthy of derision.

TinyTim's Avatar Banned
    Drop tanks do have a collision model, but cause no damage. They do "hit" the plane, leaving a "splash" effect at a fixed point in the space (not traveling with the plane):

You can bomb other aircraft though - the bomb "glues" to the aircraft and explodes after the delay. I takes some practice to hit tho.

p-11.cAce's Avatar Senior Member
    Best Skin Evar

Makes me wanna bust out some para-troopers tonight.

TinyTim's Avatar Banned
    Originally posted by p-11.cAce:
    Best Skin Evar
    Yeah, all the ramming (TB-3 is hard to miss or to avoid to be frank) starting to get on my nerves so I started using it online, for obvious reasons. Does it help? No, but at least rammers are humiliated.

Well, they make a big splash when they hit the water so I would say yeah you can down a plane with them though not practical. Why not just experiment dive bombing a truck using it as the bomb. I'm gonna try that just for fun when I get home.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last ►►